Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 16-Nov-2004, 13:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Road Angel vs Snooper

(or any other similar system)

Does anyone use either of these systems or done a comparison?

I'd like to know which is the best.

Can they be used on bikes as well as in cars, although realistically with the mileage i do it will spend more time in the tinbox, but it would be usefull if its easily transfered fron vehicle to vehicle so i can use it in vans when required.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 16-Nov-2004, 13:23
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
No competition, the road angel is by far the better unit. Done lots of research into this and spoken to user's of both systems.

Unfortunately they are not easily transferrable to bikes. For that you want the Geodesy system which is pretty good but doesn't have any mobile detection capability.

No doubt someone will be along in a moment to totally contradict all of the above!
Old 16-Nov-2004, 13:23
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Dunno about snooper, but the road angel only comes (as standard) with GPS kit etc, so it'll have a database of static/mobile camera sites which you update as and when, but in standard form doesn't detect lasers etc from the roadside plod. So on that score it would be easy to swap between cage and bike, just plug and go I guess. If you were after a laser detector etc you'd need to fit other stuff to the bike to obviously detect that, so would be more of a hassle to swap between the two I would think...
Old 16-Nov-2004, 13:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Ta Yeti & JP

Ok lets ignore the bike useage (unless Geodessy is absolutely brilliant) I certainly wouldn't hear any little beeping noises on the bike over the noise of the Termis and clutch etc. and my eyes spend more time looking at the road and whats up ahead rather than looking for flashing leds on the dash.

It would be nice to have some form of laser detection as well as picking up the known static/mobile sites.

Is it best to have a seperate detector as well as Road Angel.
Old 16-Nov-2004, 13:39
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
The new Road Angel (Road Angel 2) is an all-in-one GPS and laser detector. Not sure where you'd mount it on a bike to get the best laser detection though. You'd also need to hardwire it into the bike, as you would with all of these systems.

I have a Road Angel 'classic' for the car(s) and it's superb. Very clear LCD screen that flashes red when it alerts you. A mate has a Road Angel 2 that he's very happy with also.

Check out http:\\www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk for comparisons and tests of what's available.
Old 16-Nov-2004, 13:41
BSB Star

I think you can get a bolt on for the roadangel to detect lasers, there's a new version out now from when I looked a while ago, and the old one didn't have that functionality, but I'm pretty sure the new one does.

There's quite a few decent websites for the low down on detectors, can't for the life of me remember the URL's, but they're pretty good, just do a quick google and see what you can get
Old 16-Nov-2004, 13:41
BSB Star

Twinfan..... there you go, a good link to start with!
Old 16-Nov-2004, 13:57
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Have a look at www.originb2.com. Very neat and well recomended

Darren

[Edited on 16-11-2004 by LesPaul]
Old 16-Nov-2004, 15:35
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Origin b2 was my second choice, but there are loads of wires to deal with. Road Angels are plug-and-play which got my vote as I swap the unit between cars. However, I think Origin do a new one now that's simpler? Check the link I posted above and make your own choice.

P.S. Road Angel 2
Old 16-Nov-2004, 20:02
Mille

Sent my road agnel 2 back after 3 days, now have a snooper S4 which can be mounted on the bike as well, only thing the snooper seems to struggle with is the mobile van units, but having said that if you update it on aregular basis it will alert you when you approach of known locations. I know where you can get a snooper S4 for around £285 if price is a deciding factor.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit