Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 06-Jun-2004, 03:07

Sunday 6th June

Please spare a thought for those lads who gave the ultimate sacrifice 60 years ago. Think of them, and say Thank You....
Old 06-Jun-2004, 09:37
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
If it was'nt for them embarking on what was to be one hell of a ride out.Would we be doing the things we hold dear now? Thankfully History will never repeat itself like that again.4D
Old 06-Jun-2004, 09:47
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Amen to that, 4D.
With thanks to those that gave.
Old 06-Jun-2004, 10:03
Bevel Head

I had never really understood what the soldiers on D-Day went through until recently - my grandpa who died several years ago wrote a diary about his experiences, from surviving Dunkirk to going back to Europe via D-Day, and eventually going right through to Bremen

It took me nearly 10 years to have the courage to read this memoir right through, as some of the writings are incredibly moving.

I can only be in awe of what all the D-Day veterans went through.

Today my thoughts will be to all those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the struggle for a better world - RIP
Old 06-Jun-2004, 10:57
500SD

"They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."
Old 06-Jun-2004, 18:00
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Old 07-Jun-2004, 00:15
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Its nice to see you guys have spared a thought and have shown respect for those that paid the ultimate price 60 years ago. Most of us are to young to have even been around on D day but I bet that most of us can be quite emotional when we watch events such as those shown on the tv channels today.

I was driving home from work today, going round "T" square, when a cabbie pulled up beside me and proceeded to rant and rave, in quite colourful tones, about a large Sikh march going through central London today. He then said how "the sustem" was doing so much in supporting their cause and march and how the government and local authority had done nothing in London to remember those lost on D Day 60 years ago. That man had a very valid point and I for one think he was right, its about time we started to look after those that, and there widows etc, that paid the price. Thank you.
Old 07-Jun-2004, 09:03
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Quote:
Originally posted by uncle porry
it does not surprise me that these people are allowed to have their march on such a day

Chaps, chaps, the thread is about remembering those who made such sacrifices 60 years ago, not the state of Britain today... there's plenty of threads for that sort of rant. "These people" have every right to march in central London, for thats why we went to war.

There were probably plenty of opportunities for us all to do something yesterday to mark the event - it doesnt need a march in central london (and for certain most of us would probably have skipped such an event to go on a ride out!!!). Perhaps some of us went to church, maybe some of us read the papers and just for 5 minutes put ourselves in their shoes, or maybe some of us played the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan on our 58" plasmas... whatever, its our right to do what we want to because of that sacrifice.

Oh, and lets not forget that "our boys" happended also to be Irish, Canadian, Polish, American, French, and probably many others. And that many, many German boys were killed that day.

Old 07-Jun-2004, 10:11
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
... and Australians.

Old 08-Jun-2004, 00:46
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Jason
A very valid point and I agree 100%, but the Aussies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit