Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Aug-2005, 23:17
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
loose headlight unit - is this common?

Last few times out on the bike I've heard "clunking" sounds from the front end when riding along bumpy roads. Back home I checked all the usual front end / caliper bits etc but could not spot anything wrong.

Last ride out I spotted the mirrors seemed to be vibrating more than normal (which is normally quite a lot) and then noticed that the fairing support / mirror mount was moving around.

Back in the garage I found that the whole head light unit was loose and moving around along with the top fairing . It's held to the head stock by 4 M6 bolts, 1 was missing and the other 3 were loose.

Luckily the bolt that had dropped out was wedged between the frame and wiring loom. Refitted the bolt and tightened up the other 3.

So I was wondering, common problem or is it a case that they were not tightened properly when I re-built the bike ?

[Edited on 15-8-2005 by Carbon749]
Old 16-Aug-2005, 11:52
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
No idea mate, get some threadlock on there if they work lose again, it's not like you take the headlamp off daily
Old 16-Aug-2005, 19:33
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Should have said, when I put the bolts back in I used loctite anti vibration on the bolts rather than the full on thread lock. Hopefully they are not coming loose again.

Guess from the lack of comments it's just me that suffers loose bits.