Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Jul-2004, 16:50
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Sprocket Carrier Problem

I have a TSS sprocket carrier, fitted only two months ago, along with new chain & sprockets, after a short while i noticed that the chain appeared to have a Tight spot, it turned out not to be the case. After further investigation it was noticed that the Carrier was rocking on the hub. has any one else with this make of carrier had the same problem???

Chris.
Old 04-Jul-2004, 20:53
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
It sounds like he's got the dreaded sprocket-flange wear ... the same problem I had.

If he has a standard sprocket flange, then it uses a circlip to hold a spacer and washers in place, to keep everything in line. The only problem is that the circlip groove wears and so you get free play in it. The next thing that happens is that your sprocket flange starts to grind down against the hub.

Changing to a new sprocket carrier won't fix this - you need a whole new sprocket flange using the new design that eliminates the circlip retainer with one big spacer.

The bad news is that these cost about 95 quid for the sprocket flange and another 7 quid for the spacer from Ducati. The good news is that you can sometimes get them from breakers for around 30-40 quid delivered ... I paid 35 quid inc p&p for mine.

The best way to ensure you get the right part is to ask for the sprocket flange and spacer from a 998 as these all had the revised spacer rather than the circlip.

See the difference here:
http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi...=6972#pid59577
Old 13-Jul-2004, 17:20

Ive got exactly the same problem ,The bush on the sprocket flange seems to be the problem, ducati glasgow have told me i cant order the bush seperately ill need to buy the complete flange,
Old 13-Jul-2004, 17:58
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Yes - it comes as a complete unit rather than seperate parts.

Make sure you get the revised unit off the 998 bikes otherwise you'll end up with the same problems.

Details (and pics) here:
http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi...d.php?tid=6972
Old 13-Jul-2004, 18:00
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

You should be able to pick up the revised sprocket flange with spacer from a breakers - I got one for 30 quid + a fiver postage. Direct from Ducati they are 95ish for flange and 7ish for the spacer.

The sprocket flange that uses a circlip (916 style) differs from the one that uses the spacer (998 style), so you need both the new flange and spacer.
Old 13-Jul-2004, 20:05
Big Twin

Or machine down the old sprocket flange in a lathe?
Old 13-Jul-2004, 20:27
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

The problem is that with the new style flange, the end part of it is flat because it has no circlip inside to keep the bush in place - there is no bush, effectively.
Old 14-Jul-2004, 14:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
The problem is that with the new style flange, the end part of it is flat because it has no circlip inside to keep the bush in place - there is no bush, effectively.

I realise that, but that doesn't preclude you from machining away the back of the flange, to fit the later (conical?) type spacer, does it?

(Assuming your last comment was directed at me...)

I haven't done this myself, but I know a man who has...
Old 14-Jul-2004, 14:51
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Erm ... dunno!

I *think* that the overall dimensions of the flange are the same, thus you can't machine anything off the old-style one to create a new-style one ... otherwise it just wouldn't be the right size.

But then if somebody has successfully done it, it may well work!

I guess I'm just lazy and paid the 30 quid for the new style setup rather than figuring out how to fix it.
Old 15-Jul-2004, 08:03
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Have fitted new cush drives, this has cured the rocking of the carrier. I guess I will still need to get a new splined hub as well, will look for the new type via the breakers.

Chris.