Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Jul-2004, 17:25
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Oil change checks

Gonna be doing an oil change this weekend on my 748, I've read somewhere about there being an extra mesh piece that is bolted into the side of the sump, and that this must be cleaned or checked. What is it exactly and do I have to clean it - if so what with?

Cheers folks,

Ade.
Old 08-Jul-2004, 17:53
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
There's the sump plug underneath which is where you drain the oil. The nut is magnetic so you'll probably have quite a bit of swarf (bits of gearbox!) on there. Use another (stronger) magnet to get these off.

The other is on the side. Just unscrew this an it will pull out as a piece of tube with a fine gauze around it. This catches all the smaller lumps and also those that are non-metallic and don't get caught by the magnet. This is also where you want to look for flaked chrome from the rockers - they're the small silvery flakes that aren't magnetic...
Old 08-Jul-2004, 18:15
Big Twin

If you've got a very late model 748, you'll discover, as I did recently, that for some obscure reason they've changed the design of the "sludge trap" tube thingey, so instead of a simple hex head, there's now a cover plate, which needs a massive allen key (14mm from memory), and then the filter behind it needs the 14mm allen hex again to remove it. Best is to get a 1/2" socket set attachment for the allen hex. You can get them in Halfords as "car sump plug sockets".

It's pretty self-evident which type you've got.