Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 11-Jun-2004, 10:02

newbie needs advice on what kit to buy

Hi Guys, i am new to biking, got my direct access course next week and i'm off to buy some clobber tonight. I'm going to get the whole shooting match (lid, jacket, trousers, gloves and boots). Basically i'm after any recommendations you guys might have? I don't wanna spend more than i have to but i do appreciate the need to buy decent quality gear.

Also bearing in mind i'll only be a fair weather rider, am i going to be better off getting leathers or textile kit?

TIA

Al
Old 11-Jun-2004, 10:21
888 at Last !!!

Hello ali g

Lots of people ask this one and it's not easy to answer. First of all there are so many different styles. Sports, touring, casual, full racing, all black etc etc but here's some of the generals I find useful:

Helmet
I find that Shoei & Arai are generally the best and most comfortable lids on the market but not cheap. I would spend as much as you can afford on the best lid you can. There's nothing more annoying than wearing an uncomfortable lid. You'll not want to ride as much because the lid is too tight or too noisy etc etc. Shoei XR1000, X Spirit or equivalent Arai once tried on, will never be surpassed. Try lots on, get plain colour if funds are low. Don't buy it just cause you like the colours - you might regret it

Suit 1 piece or 2
2 piece - your a beginner - 1 piece will just not be for you at this time

Jacket / Jeans
Go for leather on both to start - get a textile jacket for real hot days if your budget will stretch. Get a jacket with a zip out lining - get armour in the shoulders - a back protector built in is a bonus. This type of kit will last for 5-10 years and then some.

What brands
You pay your money & take your choice. Dainese, Alpinestars, Spidi, Spyke and any other italian brand will cost a fortune - as with regular clothing you pay for the label. Try Hein Gererike, Bering or Frank Thomas for equal quality but not as fancy styling.

Gloves and boots
Again ones that fit are better than ones that look nice and don't.

as a beginner I'd buy:
* Shoei or Arai top of the range lid
* Best leather jacket you can buy
* Best boots & gloves you can buy
* Wear jeans as you're only gonna be a fair weather rider

£500 all in if you shop around
Old 11-Jun-2004, 10:24
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Welcome to biking !

This depends on your budget and the type of bike you buy I guess.

First recommendation..as your only in farnborough, get yourself dwon to J&S in Newbury as they normally have some bargains kicking about.

Second recommendation...deffo an Arai Helmet...one saved my life...the best IMO.

If your after a budget 2 peice leather racing suit, the Hein Gericke Tribal suit is excellent for £300..its won awards.

Gloves..my last few pairs of alpinestars/Spidis/nankais have been much of a muchness..check stitching quality and protection around key areas.

Boots - cant go wrong with sidis and they have different versions to suit different budgets...good luck..let us know how you get on !!

If your in the market for a 600 monster (cheap insurance and restrictable) give me a shout...my '97 4500 mile one is up for sale very soon..!!

Cheers
Nat

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by Nattyboy]
Old 11-Jun-2004, 10:31
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Get the best lid you can afford. Don't be swayed by brand image, get the one that fits best. It should be a snug fit, even on the tight side because it will give a little, but it shouldn't pinch anywhere or put pressure points on any part of your head. If you put your hands on the lid while you're wearing it, you shouldn't be able to twist it around or up and down. Make sure it has the gold ACU (?) stamp on it

If you're a fair weather only rider, get leathers. Get a one piece suit or a two piece that zips together all the way round the waist. I prefer two pieces because they let you take your jacket off when you're taking a break from riding, cos you'd be surprised at how quickly you start to cook when it's warm. You can of course take the top of a one piece down, but then you need to walk around clutching the top half around you and with the arms dangling down like a plucked turkey. Two pieces with an industrial strength zip also offer damn near as much protection as a one piece, so unless you spend all your time on track are better general purpose items IMHO. Make sure that the suit has all the requisite CE approved armour to knees, elbows, shoulders and back and get knee sliders (even if you're not going to use them).

Get a good pair of boots with toe sliders and good ankle support, can't really go wrong with Axo, Sidi, Alpinestars or most of the other reputable brands.

A one piece or two piece undersuit made with 'coolmax' material will help get you in and out of your leathers without getting too sticky.

That's about it for basics. That way, you'll be fine on the road and as you get more experience you won't outgrow your gear (although you might if you have a pie problem like me). If you ever want to do trackdays in the future, you'll be set up and won't have to buy new stuff.
Old 11-Jun-2004, 10:37
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Just remember that the difference between good kit and bad kit could save your life!

As Ziggy and Nat say, go for the best quality helmet you can afford. I used to have a second hand knackered old lid when I was younger, and on buying my first Arai it was like going from a Rover Metro to a Mercedes CLK! I've always bought them since (Arais, not a Metros) as they fit my head better than any others - my head wasn't the right shape for a Shoei.

You can get some real bargains by shopping around. If you're not worried about having this year's colours or styles, try going to one of the bigger places that advertise in MCN (like J&S or Padgets) as they usually have plenty of "last year's models" at great prices - same goes for leathers, boots and gloves too.

I'd also recommend Hein Gericke as they make quality leathers and are probably one of the cheapest on the market. Their tribal suits are a steal at 300 quid, and sometimes they do special offers on these. Check for your local dealer: http://www.gericke.com/

Just don't be tempted to buy something because it's cheap. Make sure that you're buying proper motorcycle kit and not "fashion" biker jackets/trousers which are made from much thinner leather and without all the extra stitching on the seams. If you can, wait until one of the big bike shows - NEC in november, BMF rally (just gone) or the Alexandra Palace show - as you can pick up some really good cheap kit from these.
Old 11-Jun-2004, 10:41
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
...missed Jools post as I was replying, but that's brilliant advice about getting a lid that fits properly. A badly fitting helmet could come off in an accident and you really don't want to be heading for the pavement without a helmet on!

Get the assistants to helps you, try *everything* on in the shop to find one you like, then try *all* the different sizes to make sure you get the correct fit. If in doubt, take a mate along who already has a helmet or knows how one should fit to make sure you're ok.

If you need any more help, there are plenty of guys here who would be more than happy to give you a hand, so just let us know!
Old 11-Jun-2004, 13:57

thanks for all your help guys. I'm going to go to my local dealer, it's a reputable place and i know a guy who works there.

I had a look on their web site and quite like the look of a 2 piece alpine star suit i've seen. Thanks again.

AL
Old 11-Jun-2004, 22:47
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Gear

Hi Ali
helmets
buy the best you can afford? surely if the helmet has passed all the relevant tests spending £400 or £100 doesnt come into it most helmets loose there shape if used regularly and start to smell in summer.
Id rather spend £100 and replace every year than to spend £400 and have to keep it longer than needed.
Leathers
I started off with akito 2 piece £150 new came off last year bike a right-off kit usable but skruffy.
purchased a 2 piece from Heinricke jacket and trousers 2 different sizes to get proper fit but extemley comfortable.
shop around localy look in your local trader free add as there is always kit in there dirt cheap and usually brand new.
body armour a must I use the knox touring back protector.
Old 15-Jun-2004, 10:58

Well i did it, spent almost a grand on it too! so let's hope it's good gear

I got a base model Aria lid, 2 piece Dianese Leathers, some nice light weight summer gloves and some sidi boots. All of it seems like very good quality kit to me and came highly recommended by my mate in the shop.

Just need my license now
Old 15-Jun-2004, 14:09
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Sounds a lot nicer than the Shoei and welders gloves that I started with :P

Good luck for the test!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit