Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 15-May-2012, 10:00
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

How does gearing really affect the bike?

I have a problem where my bike is too highly geared for certain slower corners i.e. if I approach the corner in 2nd it's too high (the revs are too low) if I drop to 1st it's too low (the revs are too high). I am running 14/45 so what do I do:

a/ Change to 14/47 hoping that 2nd will now rev ok
b/ change to 15/45 hoping that 1st will rev ok
c/ Leave it and do something different in the corner

The corners in question are Rocket Out (Anglesey) and Luna Right hand entry (Three Sisters), the bike seems ok everywhere else on the circuits.

I found that I was losing time on people who entered Rocket Out in front of me, and Luna is very important as it drives you down into the straight then over the summit to Cowards where lots of time can be made up.

I have enough chain movement to go either way so that's not an issue. But my one other question is this:

- On a little v-twin (69bhp) if I go low geared 14/47 (stock is 15/39) will I loose grunt i.e. will the bike rev out before it gets to deliver max torque/bhp?