Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Jan-2005, 10:04

Belt changes on a 2000 900 ss

I have a 2000 900ss with 4000 miles on it. Should the belts be changes on a time basis as well as a milage basis?
Regards
Tom
Old 17-Jan-2005, 10:37
Big Twin

Tom, if they haven't been changed since new, then get them done. Even if you're doing low milege, they should be changed every 2 years.
Old 17-Jan-2005, 12:54
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Tom ,for the £100 that it costs to have them replaced its peace of mind. My 900SS 98 were changed every 9/10 000 miles because i was doing the mileage, looking at the belts they still looked good, just a little shiny in places.They do detiriate with age especially if the bikes not being used.Its a few grand to spend if they let go you though? 4D
Old 17-Jan-2005, 21:05
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
Tom
my Blooo duke gets new belts at every service whether 6000, 12000 or just cos the oil needs changing
Maybe a little OTT but definitely peace of mind as Fordie says
rgds
mort
Old 18-Jan-2005, 17:58
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Ditto Mort

Andy
Old 18-Jan-2005, 18:48
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The logic of changing the timing belts every two years escapes me.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that without SOME time limit, the timing belts would drop off the owners maintenance radar scope. The usual reasons for maintenance on a time schedule, don’t seem to apply here.

For example, for oil changes when the manufacturer specifies a time criteria, they're telling you that if you ride every day, but for only short trips to work, your riding habits subject the oil to a more severe service so you should use time, not mileage, as a guide. If you ride 100 miles a week, but do it in ten trips, you should use time, not mileage as your criteria.

Motorcycle riding is often different. If you ride only for pleasure once a week for 100 miles, then you should use mileage, not time as your change criteria.

Timing belts are made of kevlar-reinforced rubber, much like some tires that have no such time limit on their replacement. It’s easy to understand a mileage limit on timing belts since (except under unusual usage) it correlates directly to cyclic fatigue and wear.

So what’s so special about timing belts that they need replacement on a time schedule?

If you buy a new bike and then put it your private collection and don’t ride it for two years do you have to replace the belts? Of course not. Conversely, if you have a track bike that lives at the red-line don’t wait to change your belts until 12,000 miles is up.

You need to use your common sense here.
Old 19-Jan-2005, 00:37
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
I was told somewhere long ago that if you leave the bike standing over winter, be careful because the belts can shape round the sprockets, etc and may take a while to shape up. It was suggested to run/start the bike until warm every 2-weeks to combat this!

On another note, Nelly found that one of the tensioner bearings had seized, equating to BLUE belt! This was probably down to a wet run out, beware!!!

So my only solution is to check the belts as often as possible, even if you remove them and put them back again/re-tension.

(Just to make you feel better, a Ferrari belt change costs around £1500???)

Andy