Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jul-2004, 01:53
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Advice on 996 SPS gearing please

Just come back from 2000 miles around France/Spain and the chain is now on its last legs.

I know my previous ST4S responded well to dropping a tooth of gearbox sprocket and i've read it's a common mod on 916/996.

Does the same apply with a year 2000 996SPS?

It does feel a little overgeared but certainly not as bad as the st4s.

The SPS has different internal ratios to the Bip, and i've also heard that changing the rear sprocket affects the ride height a little so is it worth dropping from standard 15/36 gearing to a 14 front sprocket.

Also remember Performance Bikes 996S ran 14/37 gearing on their long termer because 14/36 was a bit too much.

I'm not bothered about fuel consumption, more interested in midrange performance than topend which on current gearing is an adequate 160+mph (only on German Autobahns )

Any advice before i go shopping?

Ta velly much.

Also is it worth changing to a quick change rear sprocket carrier unless you're planning on lots of sprocket changes?

[Edited on 22-7-2004 by BDG]
Old 22-Jul-2004, 10:21
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
14 tooth seems be the option for most dukes - 996, 900ss etc, and made a big difference to my SS. Why do they overgear them all

The trip sounds like a good excuse for a BIG post to me, go on tell us a story

C'etais une bonne vacance j'espere.
Old 22-Jul-2004, 14:46
888 at Last !!!

I've got my 996S at 15/38 and seems to be perfect for me. Went for a STM quick rear sprocket changer and DID gold chain. I was recommended sticking with the 15 tooth front for less stress on chain.

At 5500rpm in top, my bike pulls 90mph (95mph with standard 15/36). Can still pull 160mph but I've got the FIM chip which lets it rev to 11200rpm.

Disclaimer : Any speed quoted here could be purely speculative, especially if you're a police-person.

[Edited on 22-7-2004 by ziggi]
Old 22-Jul-2004, 19:58
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The 15/38 is slightly longer than the 14/36 choice. Only just mind. Before forking out on the whole kit, a 14T sprocket could be had for not a lot to try it out?? Even borrow one if you can get your hands on one.

The over gearing helps Ducati get the bikes through the noise tests. Top gear ride by at XX mph. The high gearing keeps the revs down and the noise.
Old 23-Jul-2004, 15:17
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVE M
14 tooth seems be the option for most dukes - 996, 900ss etc, and made a big difference to my SS. Why do they overgear them all

The trip sounds like a good excuse for a BIG post to me, go on tell us a story

C'etais une bonne vacance j'espere.

Couldn't get on the board so the last day and a bit until i got the shortcut email. I'll try and post some drivel about the trip which was great fun (the best for a few years) but first must do a big posting for my charity Lands End to John O Groats to try and get some money.
Old 23-Jul-2004, 15:25
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I don't know when you're thinking of doing the charity run, but if you could manage to arrange it for the same weekend as the Congleton mega meet and call in, then I would think a good collection will be made, as well as a handy stop off point.
Old 28-Jul-2004, 20:54

I put a 14 tooth on my 99 SPS and it was a demon tweek. easy off the throttle wheelies and harder to stall!!!
Old 28-Jul-2004, 21:15
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Sean
On my SPS I dropped the front sprocket one - down to 14, this is a simple and cheap mod and makes a huge difference. Its such a common mod on the Duke that this may have already been done to the SPS - have you checked?

Tim
Old 28-Jul-2004, 21:34
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Mines no SPS but I have a 2000 996 and I have a 14th front - I swear by them now. As MartinK says, easier wheelies off the throttle (apparently )

I know a certain scottish gent who ran 14/39 on his 996R and it really got off the line but lost a lot more top end. At this point though it's more a case of trying to keep the front on the ground instead of wheelie it!

[Edited on 28-7-2004 by tp-996]
Old 29-Jul-2004, 00:21
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Sean
On my SPS I dropped the front sprocket one - down to 14, this is a simple and cheap mod and makes a huge difference. Its such a common mod on the Duke that this may have already been done to the SPS - have you checked?

Tim

Hi Tim,

had already checked, its still on 15 tooth front, i should have guesssed you'd know and dropped u a u2u

thanks.

[Edited on 28-7-2004 by BDG]