Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 16-Jan-2005, 13:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Lisa, I heard this on the news too and, like you, was annoyed because it's always the fine upstanding tax paying, slightly too fast driving public that end up paying, and the scumbags who don't tax or insure their cars and take no notice of speeding restrictions at any stage of their driving that don't pay.

I suppose it's a deterrent to those of us who might occasionally edge over the speed limit on our bikes if we know there's a possible open ended fine for doing that. Fortunately, my ability to pay at the moment is seriously limited so I'm not too fussed

The only answer is to stop road riding or take the punishment if you get caught. You have to weigh up the risk and reward, I suppose.
Old 16-Jan-2005, 13:13
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
i am with KB on this - really rubbish - and is discriminating against those that WILL pay fines, rather than CAN afford to, probably some human rights issue in here if you dig hard enough.
The other crazy one is that the law actually protects those that break and enter your property with the specific intention of a)robbery, b)rape,c) GBH,d) murder e) kidnap....or all/some of the above - surely it should be as soon as you commit a crime(crossing my threshold - carrying off my 748etcetc) then you are at the mercy of whatever happens next.???
Old 16-Jan-2005, 13:39
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
And they all manage to be able to afford fags and drink rather than pay their fines!
Old 16-Jan-2005, 13:39
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
oh, and free legal aid to defend them!
Old 16-Jan-2005, 16:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Now by inclination I'm a sort of 'live and let live' type of bloke. Politically, I suppose I'm just a bit left of centre because I don't see myself as part of the hang 'em and flog 'em little englander brigade that inhabit planet Daily Mail.

As well as that, Thatcher's government policies (with Lawson as chancellor) nearly made me bankrupt as the banks suddenly got cold feet with all the 80's entreprenurial spirit, pulling the plug on small businesses and with their poll tax and 15+% interest rates, increased my monthly outgoings by £300 when I was only just scraping by as it was (going to my employer and saying government policies have increased my monthly bills so I need an extra £500 before tax wasn't an option). I found myself deep in debt and like millions of others, deep in negative equity. So I can never, ever forgive the Tories (and Michael Howard was one of Thatchers government).

Having said all that, as I listen to the news there is hardly a day goes by without another announcement from the Home Office with yet more curbs on civil liberty. As Kwikbitch says, these are not laws designed to deter the real scum, they are and ever increasing set of draconian and petty laws that simply target people who are usually 100% law abiding. Blunkett was the most apalling authoritarian Home Secretary that I can ever remember and Clarke is just following in his footsteps.

Is it any wonder that people feel disenfranchised when the only political parties that they have to represent them are a bunch of old Colonel Blimp has beens (I think the average Conservative Club member is 60 and their MP's are pretty close behind), or the arrogance of Blair.

Rant over
Old 16-Jan-2005, 17:05
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
also saw this piece. Just another excuse to batter the ones who have most to lose, but also contribute most to the country's coffers with all the tax they pay, so others 'less fortunate' can have some fom of life....but if you think about it, fine someone without a job/income and who is paying the fine anyway???

UP THE REVOLUTION!!!

[Edited on 16-1-2005 by bradders]
Old 16-Jan-2005, 20:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
I'm with joolz...
I have responsibility for the special needs kids in the school and with the second job, responsibility for training the teachers to cope with the difficulties they have.
Take for instance the autistic children with severe behavioural difficulties... they have a mental illness that needs supporting within the classroom environment. My job is to write bids to ensure that these children recieve the correct funding.
I become disaffected when I have to write a bid for little johnny who's parents are on income support, swearing endlessly at him at the classroom door, clipping him round the ear whilst smoking a Fag and calling him a little F**k, allowing him to terrorize the children in school...Then they claim disability living allowance because they reckon he has ADHD...when all the time you know and they know that their appalling parenting and the lack of boundaries are the problem and he is just a little 5hit!
AND knowing that The bid you are writing will take money away from those children that REALLY need the social, emotional and academic support to succeed in education.
Sometimes I really have to shake my head at this government....
Old 16-Jan-2005, 21:47
Big Twin

I don't think the principle is a bad one. Would you all be in favour of fat cat "businessmen" who park their Mercs on double yellows repeatedly because it's cheaper than paying for parking, and anyway it's just small change to them? To be any kind of deterrent at all, the punishment has to make some attempt to reflect the abililty to pay.

We can all complain about loutish kids and their bad parents, but what do we want: medals for being better than them? For all his faults (and I'm no fan) Tony Blair didn't generate these lawless people, and they've always been around, under governments of all political persuasions. And I'm not sure what that's got to do with the topic in hand, anyway.

And let's be fair, you've only got to read some of the threads around here about speeding to see that we all (well, most of us ) can be pretty selective about laws we obey.

[Edited on 16-1-2005 by moto748]
Old 16-Jan-2005, 23:27
Big Twin

my £0.02's worth:
where will the line be drawn:- if people accept being means tested for the ability to be able to pay the fine, then why not means test them for other payable items? How much would you pay for your precious Ducati if you knew that the toe-rag-benefit-robbing-joy-riding-oxygen-thief-scum paid half the price you paid?
but then again, a £400 fine for a £100,000 a week footballer seems pretty inconsequential.
Why not abolish the fine system and rely completely on voluntary hours commitment?
<rant off>
Old 17-Jan-2005, 12:52
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I'm not a good person to post under this heading today since some thieving scrote screwdrivered my car doorlock on Friday night and stole-a £15 fleece..............
Mind you since he/she broke the lock I will have to get the car to the bodyshop and it will probably have to have all 3 locks replaced, new keys, and a new doorhandle-which will come to several £100-I am begining to see the sense in Koranic law-cut the *******s hands off.............

John

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit