Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 05-Oct-2004, 23:11
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I admit I`m a fair weather rider and I don`t ride as often as I should but if i can get a CCm R30 then I`tl be evryday!
Old 05-Oct-2004, 23:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
I am now using my bike to commute the short distance (about 8 miles each way) to work. I was just thinking this morning, as I scooted past the queues of traffice and nodded at the bikers going the other way, it is soooo much better to start the day with a bike ride than a frustrating car journey. Yes, the tyres are cold, the road is wet and slippery with leaves etc but, the sun was shining this morning, the leaves are turning to their autumn colours and I love the slight nip in the air on these early mornings. And I was relishing the prospect of the next 6 or 8 weeks of Autumn to be experienced on the motorbike. You just miss all that it you're in the car or any other form of transport. A quick blast on the bike at the end of the day is the best possible segway between work and home, and I've now started spraying chain lube on the bit of chain that's showing when I put the bike in the garage at night. Takes 30 seconds and hopefully will save me needing a new chain by the end of the winter.
Old 05-Oct-2004, 23:14
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Every day, wind, snow, rain or shine. But only on the 750.
Old 06-Oct-2004, 00:30
Big Twin

Wot Redruth said. I ride pretty much every day to work, unless it's chucking it down or very cold. Very cold doesn't happen too much down here in the West country. From what I read here about the tumbling resale values of 748/996's, it's not worth much now anyway, in cash terms, so I might as well get the use out of it.
Only downside is, I find myself doing less pure "pleasure" riding at the weekends these days, due to other commitments. But a great trip to Scotland in the summer made up for a lot of that. I'll hope to go again next year. Awful long haul up that motorway to get there, though.
Old 06-Oct-2004, 00:59
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
SPS at least once a week depending on weather, Multistrudel 2 or 3 times a week.

Obviously prefer South of France type weather and pleasure riding to commuting/work but then who doesn't. However at the slightest sign of salt/snow the Ducati's stay locked away.

When it gets like that i'll either use the dirtbike or whatever pile of festering crap i've bought as a winter/despatch bike.

I do actually get a perverse sense of enjoyment riding in the rain as long as i'm warm and dry and there's a reason for riding. When i haven't got a valid reason and the weathers dreadful i'm more than happy to sit in the car with heater and music cranked up.

Having despatched through too many winters (doing a full day in London then leaving at 7pm to ride 270 miles back home to Durham on Fridays, dreaming of all the National Express coaches full of people sitting in T shirts drinking beer breaking down) I'm more than happy to be a shandy drinking softie and take the car whenever it suits.

Excuse me rambling, too many stellas, good night.
Old 06-Oct-2004, 01:08
Ducati Corse

Been there ..

.. when I was 16 (in the last century admittedly) I rode all year round until I was 21 and could afford a car. I made myself a promise on all those bl**dy freezing mornings long ago that when I could I would have a motorcycle for pleasure and not for transport. My bikes will disappear into their cocoons in about 4 weeks time to emerge fresh and beautiful in the spring. In the meantime I will be enjoying the CD player in my climate controlled, leather clad, cruise controlled, automatic V6 Have fun you 'year-rounders'
Old 06-Oct-2004, 07:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Henners - your bikes disappear when there's a black cloud in the sky

I try to ride mine once a week all year round except when its raining. Now I've got the S4R may try to commute to work a bit more.
Old 06-Oct-2004, 09:08
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
have to say i dont use my ducati much through the winter.

only if its a dry day and i fancy giving it a run. to be honest unless i can really give it some on a run i'm not that bothered. not really into bombling around for the fun of it.
Old 06-Oct-2004, 11:04
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I've hardly used my bike this summer, let alone in the winter!

I've done the whole "ride all the time" thing years ago for many years, and while it is sometimes good fun, it's also sometimes soul destroying to be sitting in the pouring rain, soaked through, freezing cold with hours still left on your journey.

My current situation means that while I would like to get out and ride when the weather is nice, I'm often helping out at home looking after the young kids to give the missus a break.

While I love the time out on the bike, I love spending time with my kids even more!

The bike will always be in the garage and can wait, but the kids are already growing up at an alarming rate and it's something I don't want to miss.
Old 06-Oct-2004, 11:40
Big Twin

For many years I rode everywhere - my wife had the car. Now I work alot from home, and use the 750ss mainly for commuting once or twice a week all year round. The 748 (added recently) gets used about the same for fun. I can't lock it away all winter. I've just got back from dropping it off at Snells early this morning for a service - perfect weather, sun rising in the mirrors, etc....

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit