Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-May-2004, 15:16
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Can you reorder keys from Ducati??

Is it possiable for ducati to order a pair of keys? If so what will they need and do you just get in touch with your nearest dealer? What sort of prices will they be? Also can the order a service book?
Old 31-May-2004, 15:55
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Yes you can order keys. Blanks at least, then have them cut to fit your lock. Don't know about price but a cheaper way is to go to your locksmiths and have one cut from a Kawasaki blank. They're the same, just don't have Ducati on them.
If you don't have an original to copy (2 keys?) then this may be a little tougher. You may have to have a new lock? Not sure.
You can order service books to.
Old 31-May-2004, 23:42
Mille

Mate,

If you don't have a master key then you could remove the petrol cap and take it to a key cutter and see if they can find/grind out a match cos its the same lock as your ignition.

A few years ago at a WSB round at Brands my mate lost his zx-7r keys at Dingle dell somewhere. After much hunting we gave up but luckily there was a locksmith on site and he did just what I have mentioned above. At 10p.m. in the middle of a field with a head torch and a file. Top bloke.

What a sight we were - 2 bikes in the middle of a dark field - everyone else had long gone...

Then I had the pleasure of riding all the way home to Swindon on an M600 with a dark visor

Jacko.
Old 31-May-2004, 23:49
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
there should be attached to the original keys a small rectangular piece of metal with a code on it a letter followed by 6 numbers you should be able to order the correct key using this!!!???

if not then i don't know what its for

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by Nigel C]
Old 01-Jun-2004, 09:18
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Can you order keys....

Hi,

Know of a company that, if you take a digital picture of the key, will do new ones for you and provide the numbers too.

If you want genuine Ducati keys then you have to get them from a dealer and send / take them to him. I purchased 2 from Ron Parkinson in Colchester and had them sent to this bloke.
He charged me about £6.00 per blank to cut and they fitted fine too. Can get more details tomorrow if you're interested.
Old 01-Jun-2004, 11:38
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
Keys

Yeah i bought the bike crash damaged from a breakers so i have no master or metal thingy at all!
So whats the best option lads, if i call ducati with the vin and engine number will they know what the key code is?
Old 02-Jun-2004, 11:00
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Keys

Tried that with my dealer and they said that the factory hold no record of the vin/key number relation.
Old 02-Jun-2004, 12:01
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Any GOOD locksmith will be able to match a blank to either an existing key or a lock barrel and cut a blank from either an existing key or from the lock barrel.

As Jacko says, if you have NO keys then remove your petrol cap and take that and they should be able to work it from there. Ideally order as many key blanks as you need from your local Ducati dealer for them to use.

I've done the same on both my old RGV and RVF, so I know it can be done if you find the right people!
Old 02-Jun-2004, 14:18
500SD

Keys

If you want to do the photo thing then the bloke to contact is:

Rick Yardley at Basildon Locksmiths
e:mail: rick@blsco.freeserve.co.uk
phone: 0044 1268 534121

He did generic Ducati look-a-like keys (same design no name, ask for the short ones) for 7.00 and own sourced Ducati keys for 6.50 and provided the number for the keys too.

Thoroughly nice bloke.