Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 29-Jun-2005, 00:32
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
-10 on the A12 from ipswich to london after my shift at work 11pm
Old 29-Jun-2005, 00:47
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
2 years ago, two up, panniers, tank bag, bald back tyre heading from Friedrichshafen to Strasbourg (can't remember the road number) we ran into a 'little' storm. We could see the black clouds on the horizon, then the wind picked up to about gale 8 to storm 10-crosswind, oh and just to increase the fun factor it started to bucket down with rain. The maximum speed I could maintain was about 30mph, we were soaked, and the rear was spinning up through the puddles, oh yes and the arctics were thundering past at about 50 and covering us in water, spray, and breaking the wind-and then the bike cut onto one cylinder...............
After about 10 miles we got to a bridge and stopped under it for about an hour to let the storm subside a bit-not my favourite trip memory.......

John
Old 29-Jun-2005, 01:20
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
2 years ago, two up, panniers, tank bag, bald back tyre heading from Friedrichshafen to Strasbourg (can't remember the road number) we ran into a 'little' storm. We could see the black clouds on the horizon, then the wind picked up to about gale 8 to storm 10-crosswind, oh and just to increase the fun factor it started to bucket down with rain. The maximum speed I could maintain was about 30mph, we were soaked, and the rear was spinning up through the puddles, oh yes and the arctics were thundering past at about 50 and covering us in water, spray, and breaking the wind-and then the bike cut onto one cylinder...............
After about 10 miles we got to a bridge and stopped under it for about an hour to let the storm subside a bit-not my favourite trip memory.......

John

Oh yes, i know that road, comes over black mountains goes into Frieburg then on to Strasbourg?? I work in Freirichshafen one week a year at the end of August and the weather is always like that.
Old 29-Jun-2005, 01:25
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Thanks for that Gizmo, I'll remember not to go that way again-it was bloody hell.

John
Old 29-Jun-2005, 01:43
500SD

in the days when when my only form of transport to get to work was my bike...
Old 29-Jun-2005, 07:17
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Quote:
Originally posted by ericthered40
Slightly overcast

Not technically "bad" weather but the most awkward was one day in winter about 4 years back when it had been snowing heavily and the temperature dropped so the roads got really icey. I live on a side street off a main road and I knew the authorities would have gritted it so as long as I made it to the main road I would be okay.

40 minutes later and a lot of sweat and swearing saw me and the GT550 down the 200m to the end of the street.
Old 29-Jun-2005, 10:47
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
Thanks for that Gizmo, I'll remember not to go that way again-it was bloody hell.

John

We get there and its almost always heavy thunderstorms, the locals then always say " you should have been here last week it was wonderful weather" aagghh

Actually last year we had 5 or 6 days of very nice sunshine, for once I didn't mind working outside, downside was we had to drive from there to Morzine in 30 degree sun, in a Sprinter van with no air con and plastic seats and had to avoid Switzerland as we'd have needed a carnet for the race truck
Old 29-Jun-2005, 11:03
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Typhoon...not fun...not fun at all. Eh, and then there was the snowy ride off a mountain on a winding road full of lorries and me on my Gilera with nice slick road tires. Oh yeah, heading into San Angelo Texas (Near Bum Fu*k!) paralleling a cyclone spout (six twisters were spotted that night). Pulled in and crawled under the bed!.
Old 29-Jun-2005, 11:16
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
any hot, dry and windy day in June - Hey fever - aaaaaarrrrgh!!!!!
Old 29-Jun-2005, 11:20
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Plenty spring to mind! one's that stand out was travelling from the NW to Brands for WSB about 5-6 years ago, 10 of us down A roads all the way, it was scorching all the way, hottest I think I've ever been on a bike, I had a UJM at the time, one mate on his 916 had to stop as his bike was overheating, anyway imagine 10 guys all sweaty and sticky in their leathers, we eventually hop onto the M1 for the last 40 miles into London when the heavens opened, the rain was so bad our bikes were causing waves across the M1, got interesting when overtaking lorries/coaches as a tidal wave came over me! We got through the rain and pulled up, steam pouring off us, rung my socks out and quickly off again before the rain caught us, took 3 people to peel my leathers off.

Second one was the VD memorial meet last year on the Bostrom, set off to meet up with a few peeps in Macclesfield and go over the Cat & Fiddle, it was overcast when I left and by the time I'd got to Macc it was raining, and by the time I'd got up the C&F the rain was horizontal, wind was fierce to say the least, pulled in at the C&F pub, which wasn't open but used it for cover for 1/2 hour, all I can say is that 208GP's don't do rain was a very nervous ride down the cat, bike never missed a beat though.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit