Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jul-2005, 08:44
Mille

Mood: I've bought a 900SL!
finally back on a duc

We'll its been a long time since I last had a duc, but its here at last, an '05 1000ss . I've bin lurking here for a while whilst trying to sell (elsewhere) my previous bike (ktm950 adv) as was looking at returning to a 900sl. Sale didnt happen so traded it (got 1k more than best private offer!) for a new 1000ss. riding postion change is going to take some getting used too but heres hoping.
This is my third duc, previously had a 95 900sl, which I loved but kept snapping head studs and always had lots of swarf in its oil screens :-0. That was traded for a 916 which whilst owning for 5 years! I never really gelled with it. that went and a 5 year spell on supermotos and adventure traillies sees me back on a ducati, just hope my now old bones are up for it... cheers.

Iain Mac
PS
I'd attach a pic if I could work out how, Do I need to use a picture hosting site first?

[Edited on 9-7-2005 by IainMac]
Old 09-Jul-2005, 09:25

I know what you mean about the 916. never owned 1 myself but my first venture into dukes was on a 748. After years of riding jap stuff and coveting the 7/9 series of ducatis I finally took the plunge and traded the CBR in for a 748. Was ok during the "honeymoon period" but when it came down to the nitty gritty I just couldn't get away with the bike and my riding confidence went downhill. Sold it and bought a cbr600rr which was a great bike but there was still a hankering for a twin so bought a 900 ssie in February and love every minute I'm on the bike. The riding position fits me better and the power delivery is just what I need. Now with K&N, termis and Power Commander it rocks :-))
Old 09-Jul-2005, 15:58
Mille

Iain nice bike
To attach a pic try using the attachment option on the reply screen , Just click the browse button and navigate to the pic on your hard drive ( I think theres a size/format limit but cant remember what but jpeg should be ok ) then just click reply , Job sorted
Old 10-Jul-2005, 08:59
Mille

Here goes with pic. Wey hey it seems to work. PS on a separate note I had to buy a new lid to go with the bike, my old lid, Roof full face Daytona, was digging into the back of my neck when riding, I ended up with a Shoei XR1000 (black as no plain red) which seems to fit the bill, and light to boot.

Iain Mac

[Edited on 10-7-2005 by IainMac]
Old 10-Jul-2005, 22:55
Mille

Managed to get it out for a decent ride at last today . Took it to Hartside cafe via Hexham then back to Newcastle via Stanhope. Must say its everything my old SL wasnt , i.e handles straight out of the box without tweaking. That not to say the SL didnt handle it just needed a lot of tweaking. Ride was better controlled than I remember my 916 to be too, probably less firm springin as it wasnt rattlin my eyballs out on the bumpy (A?B) roads.
Even limted to part throttle and limited revs the DS motor seems pretty grunty, I'd say its got more low down than the 950ktm its replaced, which wasnt bad either. All I need to do now is run it in and remember how to ride a sports bike.
Old 11-Jul-2005, 10:51
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Welcome Iain!

In my eyes that's a nice looking bike. Of course I'm a biased SS rider myself.

I'm sure you're going to enjoy things over the next few months. Are you brave enough to take her out in winter too?
Old 11-Jul-2005, 21:37
Mille

Hmmm winter use.. only on salt free and dry days . I've wintered every other bike I owned even the 916 (at least its Fi didnt ice up like the 900sl's carbs did) though I think I may spare this one, for this winter.
I do have a 5 winters old ktm duke rusting in the garage awaiting a few fixes for its MoT , if thats ok it'll be pressed into slush and slurry service. On that note the finish of some bits doesnt look too winter ready on the ss (mainly the headlamp/fairing subframe paint quality).
Old 12-Jul-2005, 00:40
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Welcome on board Iain - always good to see more SS fans 'in the club'.

Come over to Croft or Cadwell sometime and have some fun on Track,
you know you want to (Twighlight zone music in background).

Frank
Old 12-Jul-2005, 08:27
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
I road my 750ss ie through two winters and it is looking a bit tatty. There is paint pealing off the engine case and some other corrosion damage in other places.

One thing I did do was swap out a load of the standard bolts/screws in the fairings etc for stainless steel ones. The standard ones will corrode as soon as look at them but the stainless are still looking good.

Now that I've upgraded to a 900ss I have another bike to show the joys of winter commuting to.
Old 14-Jul-2005, 21:25
Mille

Phillc Your not selling the SS as a winter bike at all ;-) ...
and Icon... Track day at croft .... eeeek . I've bin tempted by track days but last time I was near a track I always ended up in the kitty litter, mind it was a race, not my bike and only a moped so speed damage etc was low(ish) . But it taught me that when searching for the racing edge I tended to blunder through it and out the other side with too much regularity... maybe fear of bending my new toy will cause me to err on the caution side.
Oh one thing to complain about on the SS.... Where's the chuffing OFF switch for the lights... cheapskate move using safety as an excuse...