Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 30-Mar-2004, 22:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Watch out if you\'re out in Yorkshire

Saw this posted on another site. Not too surprised really after the many road deaths in North Yorkshire. Still, seems a bit draconian, or just scare tactics?
Quote:
Police in move to seize bikers' machines
confiscating motorcycles could be very effective

Law-breaking motorcyclists could have their machines confiscated as police officers gear up for the biggest season of road safety work yet seen in North Yorkshire.

Chief Constable Della Cannings warned that bikers who break the speed limit and illegally customise their vehicles they face an unprecedented campaign of highway law enforcement this summer.

She said officers would consider taking machines away from persistent nuisance bikers, and that three new mobile video cameras would make roadside speed checks faster, safer and more efficient.

Police chiefs are acting after 28 motorcyclists died on North Yorkshire roads last year, the highest number recorded.

North Yorkshire Police Authority yesterday released £10,000 to pay for video recorders which, working with laser speed guns, could be on the streets within weeks.

Authority member David Lloyd-Williams said residents in the popular biking area of Helmsley and Bilsdale were already reporting rising numbers of weekend bikers.

He said: "Confiscating motorcycles could be very effective because people want to show off on bikes."

Assistant Chief Constable David Collins said: "The whole issue of safer roads is part of our priority to reduce serious injury and fatal road traffic accidents.

"That is going to be achieved this year through a combination of enforcement and education.

"This kit (video recorders) is the best on the market and what our professionals prefer to use. I think it will have a big impact."

After the meeting, Debbie Molyneux, of York Motorcycle Action Group, said speed cameras had a role, but they could be seen as revenue generators rather than a safety tool.

Motorcyclists were often perceived to be riding fast because of their brightly-coloured machines and high engine note, when they were riding within the law and their ability.

Police authority member Mike Doyle, an experienced motorcyclist, said bikers should not be demonised and that many bikers would benefit from daily riding, rather than just weekend trips.

He said: "Life's not so easy for those who use their bikes for daily transport rather than hurtling up the A65 for a spin on a Sunday."
Old 30-Mar-2004, 23:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
im not going there then
Old 30-Mar-2004, 23:40
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Sounds about right since I'd planned a run along the great Stokesley to Hemsley route tomorrow
Old 30-Mar-2004, 23:47
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
wonder what will happen to all those places bikers (even when in cars with their families) STOP frequenting because of this type of heavy handed approach...they'll end up like Coventry in that fantastic Specials song...Ghost town! Lets all move to the isle of man!!

Iconic - you should be alright as long as you are not a 'persistent nuisance biker'
Old 31-Mar-2004, 09:36
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by PBSPS
Lets all move to the isle of man!!

What a great title for a song!
Old 31-Mar-2004, 09:47
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Iconic - you should be alright as long as you are not a 'persistent nuisance biker'

Shirley not !!!
How could I be when I ride a Ducati
Old 31-Mar-2004, 15:20
Mille

Mood: extreme caution
I was on the Stokesley-Helmsley road on Monday night and last night. It really is a great road but after the mindless carnage and stupidity of last year the police have to do something drastick. So here it is, something drastick.I am afraid it is the same old problem of the mindless minority spoiling it for all of us.
Example;Monday night,8'oclock,lad on a new 600rr with a very loud Arrows can on.Parked up in the square reving it to at least 10K. I would not put up with that if i was a local,especially with kids.
Old 01-Apr-2004, 12:39
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
The police throughout England have the power to do this. Not sure about Scotland or Wales.
Some police forces are putting it about that they will use these powers against certain groups, e.g. bikers, the max power brigade, etc, etc.

Ray

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit