Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Prev   Next
Old 02-Jul-2009, 13:32
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
This always gets the blood boiling for some

okay hands up, I have ridden in shorts & flipflops.
this was back in the 80s, and I was flat out racing another guy in exactly the same attire. We got up to 90mph (road registered enduro bikes).
Was it fun ? you bet !
would I do it now ? no way, I've seen the injuries others have received.

We also rode a gold wing in California for a week last year, and succumbed to only wearing a T shirt, but still kept gloves, helmet, jeans and boots on too. For one, the sodding thing was too hot to sit on in shorts !
We were riding in temps of ~97 degrees, and were melting with the jackets on. I wouldn't have done it on a sports bike though. Not sure why, as the result would be the same (or worse) falling off the wing.

I feel vulnerable riding my bike down to the dealers 2 miles away in shoes and jeans rather than boots & leathers. As Jools says, I too consequently ride slower and more cautious.

For me, the answer is education, not legislation.
Inform the riders the risk they are taking, and the likely consequences. If they still choose to take the risk at least it is an informed decision.

A guy on a trike followed by another guy on a quad overtook me up the A3 last week. Neither had helmets on. They were both doing 80+.
so why is it okay for them to not wear helmets or protective clothing, but not okay for someone on 2 wheels.
and just how many kids on scoots ride around with their lids undone anyway (or not even on their heads properly).

I'd prefer to see the helmet law removed, Give people the choice.
I bet that most people would still wear one anyway, just the same as most people now wear a seatbelt, and would likely do so regardless of whether its the law or not.

As for nurses & doctors not treating people due to a lack of protective clothing, that really would be a minefield, where do you stop ?

wogger, that program last night showed that he didn't have to slide very far to sustain quite serious injuries. Perfect timing too, I was in the middle of my dinner

Now when are we going to discuss gun laws...

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit