Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 28-Mar-2005, 20:54

Mood: Sifting for gold
I'm still for not doing the test on a 125 and then buying a bigger restricted bike. Much better to start off with the heavy and learn to control it.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 20:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Good points Jen but not all women are confident, or strong enough, to make the choices you did. Being able to plant both feet firmly on the ground and being able to pull the bike out of parking spaces or paddle it into a convenient spot to start the engine are things that made me a more confident rider early on.

We've met, remember. You're racing. You've definitely got balls. (that's intended as a compliment, of course). Not all women feel the same way. Many are timid when starting out and it doesn't take much to put them off. It's a step by step thing. There's plenty of time to go out and buy a 1000cc bike, or a 748, or whatever other bike they fancy once the riding has become second nature. Lisa (Kwikbitch) is another confident woman rider but not everyone is endowed with the same determination and confidence and early discouragement can lead to disillusionment.

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by Redruth]
Old 28-Mar-2005, 23:02
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally posted by desmojenI know it's all down to the ladies confidence but I can't stand this thing with women having to have short arse bikes.
I'm 5'4 and fat and I ride a jacked up 748 and before that a 750SS, both tall bikes which I could not comfortably touch the floor on.

so am I (well, bit more than 5'4 and male, but rest is the same!!) But I know how to plan ahead and what to do when I stop (shuffle over seat,. leave in gear, look for a kerb or check the camber etc). Teetering on tiptoes when not experienced, male or female, will lead to a drop at some point and that bangs confidence. I still feel wary when i get on and off because I have such an issue - but as yoiu say keep moving and it ok
Old 29-Mar-2005, 10:59
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Quote:
Originally posted by Redruth
Good points Jen but not all women are confident, or strong enough, to make the choices you did. Being able to plant both feet firmly on the ground and being able to pull the bike out of parking spaces or paddle it into a convenient spot to start the engine are things that made me a more confident rider early on.

We've met, remember. You're racing. You've definitely got balls. (that's intended as a compliment, of course). Not all women feel the same way. Many are timid when starting out and it doesn't take much to put them off. It's a step by step thing. There's plenty of time to go out and buy a 1000cc bike, or a 748, or whatever other bike they fancy once the riding has become second nature. Lisa (Kwikbitch) is another confident woman rider but not everyone is endowed with the same determination and confidence and early discouragement can lead to disillusionment.

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by Redruth]

You're right Ruth, I didn't mean to come across all ranty but it does annoy me that everyone just assumes and goes straight to the short option.
Don't go thinking I'm confident either, because lack of confidence is a constant bugbear to me, just ask my hubby!
It's more of an attitude thing I think, I wanted a supersport so I got one! Never one to think about practicalities me

Just as an aside, I tried a K5 gixxer thou on the other day..........that's pretty stumpy!!
Old 29-Mar-2005, 11:05
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
I did my CBT then bought a road legal dirt bike and rode that for a few months before having a few incidents that stopped me riding for a year or so.

Eventually had to redo my CBT (they expire after 2 years) did three lessons on a big bike and took my test. Didn't ride for 5 months then bought a CBR6 then went straight onto 748r.

As has been said it really does depend on confidence, general driving ability and natural ability.

ie, if she is confident in a car, has good awareness, has ridden pushbikes and is confident in general then she could effectively ride any bike straight away.

Given an option I would suggest to anyone that they ride a 125 on the road for a while, at least to get the experience of how little car drivers notice you and get used to handling a bike in general. But I would then go for direct access test so she is not limited to what she rides when she is ready.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 12:02
Montjuic

Passed my test last july, did CBT then Direct Access. Before meeting Rockhopper my only experience on a bike was when I was 17 and got on the back of a lad that was trying to kill or impress me, one of the two. Put me off for a long long time and it was only after riding pillion on the back Rockhopper for a while that I started to think maybe I could do this for myself. Heard about a woman teacher which also gave me the confidence to go for it.
Now got a 600 monster and I love it but I'm still not confident. Truth is I came to riding too late in life. Have not been around bikes most of my life to give that easy feel like a lot of blokes have.
But I do love it and am chuffed to bits that I have proved to myself I can do it. Got my first Track Day at Cadwell in July and am scared to death even now!!! But I will be there and I will do it. Lifes too short not to try everything you can
Old 29-Mar-2005, 12:17
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Quote:
Originally posted by Redruth
She made a good choice, Ade. What colour? Yellow I hope.

Silver, I'm afraid. It's a cracking bike though, so comfy I could ride all day and never know it. Nippy too once you get it past 7k rpm. Although it hasn't got the soul that my 748 has, sort of leaves you a bit empty if you know what I mean.

Ade.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 18:58

hi I did Direct Access and straight onto a 748Bip
6 months later got a 748R

And its mad it still gives me the grin factor!!

sam
Old 29-Mar-2005, 21:56
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
I'm happy to be corrected, but if you go the Monster route, I believe the older carbed versions are easier to restrict than the newer injection jobbies.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 23:54
Ducati Meccanica

I passed my das and went out and bought a cbr6 - then bought a 600 monster cos at least i could touch the floor on it.
Now i'm bloody racing it
Each to their own

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit