Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Feb-2004, 14:09
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
ST4S or MultiStrada

After reading my way through all the messages in the MS forum, it seems like a few of you have asked this same or similar question.

I've got a couple of further questions though.

1) With the engine so exposed just how does it stand up to all the stone chips, salt, cr@p, etc the front wheel throws at it ?

2) will the aftermarket belly pan help to stop this ?

3) the MS seems a fair way down on power compared to the ST4S. Is this a noticeable difference ?
(I ride a VFR800 for touring at present, so as long as it is as quick as that it will be fine)

4) What sort of range are you guys getting to a tank ?
Again, as long as its more than around 120 between stops I can live with that.

5) does the centre stand impact on the ground clearance much ??

I'm hoping to get a test ride of the 04 ST4S shortly, and will try the MS the same day. I guess this will answer a lot of other questions I have.

Cheers all,
John.
Old 10-Feb-2004, 15:41
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
JW, can only answer your questions as follows:
1. My MS, like all my previus bikes, tends to hibernate between late Nov and late Feb/March and therefore not best placed to answer this, but since I tend to clean my bike religiously at least weekly I've not encountered any problems. Bear in mind that even ST4s will collect as much crud etc behind fairing but unlike MS it's just not that obvious.
2. If you fancy a belly pan order it quickly/ I've been waiting since April although I'm told it MAY be here by end of month. Not convinced it'll give that much more protection though better wIth a mudguard extender. I know Keefyboy and a few others have fitted their own bespoke units.
3. Can't compare to either ST4s or VFR having not ridden either, but put it this way on all normal road riding I don't miss the 996 my MS replaced.
4. The fuel guage is, shall we say, quirky. Then again I do get pretty much circa 120miles between fill-ups.
5. Just fitted centre-stand before winter lay-off so haven't really had a chance to see how ground clearance affected during a 'spirited' ride.

Take my advice buy the MS save a grand on purchase price which you can put towards DP goodies like high screen, panniers etc, and you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck!
Old 10-Feb-2004, 16:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
i do know that the MS is better for passengers, - as the distance between backside and feet is greater on the MS. Not that you asked that, I will get my coat...
Old 10-Feb-2004, 17:38
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Here\'s my two pence worth.

In answer to your questions,
1)Yep the engine is a bit exposed.A hugger and a front fender extender are a must.Huggers are available now and Pyramid Plastics are on the case for the front guard.Most of the spray seems to go over the front cylinder.I have used mine in all weathers and it still cleans up well.Its a longer job to clean it tho.There are a lot of nooks and crannies to get at.
2)Belly pans,hmmm,not got one myself but I guess that it would stop a lot of dirt and road muck from sticking to the crankcases.
3)Power,
As you have realised,a Multistrada is not as powerfull on paper as a VFR or an ST4.On the road tho,its a differant story.The Multi is blessed with a lovely torquey motor that makes the bike deceptively fast.In fact some of the guys on the BHC rideouts are astounded just how quick you can go.Its only at the very top end of the rev range the motor gets a bit breathless."On a private test track" Ive had 131 sitting bolt upright and 138 tucked in.Thats fast enough,innit!
BTW,another essential item to purchase is the Comfort Screen.The standard item is too low and the wind blast makes fast road work very uncomfortable.
4) Tank range,150-160 miles.
5)I cant comment on the centre stand as I have'nt got one.
The footrests are fairly low and I have scraped those.Some serious riding has seen the exhaust guard and rear brake pedal on the deck.Normal riding I only get the edge of my huge size tens down.
The Multistrada is a great bike and I cant stop grinning every time I ride mine.
Old 01-Mar-2004, 12:57
500SD

Okay,

thought I'd report back following a test ride at the weekend of both a Multistrada and an ST3.

Rode the MS on Friday, and couldn't get the smile off my face. Trully superb bike.
Up to 80mph it is great, plenty of go and stop. Above 80mph though I found it wasall a bit too blowy (saw an indicated 120 ). The bike was moving around under me, and I found the tops of my legs got cold in no time at all.
This made me think that for solo and local riding it would be great, but probably not ideal 2 up for 300+ miles a day.
Oh, and the fuel gauge is good entertainment

Next I tried the ST3.
This bike only had 15 miles on the clock, and the roads weren't the best on Saturday morning (different bike shop), so didn't ride it too hard, but this felt just like the VFR we are replacing, only with more bottom end grunt. I reckon I could make more progress on this than with the VFR, and not have to work it so hard either. It is definitely overgeared though. I can see why people fit the 14t front sprocket...

So. Decision made. I'm now shopping for an ST4S (the one I had my eye on sold on Friday !).

You guys have a lovely bike though. Only wish I could justify an MS to play on as well as the ST4S, but I can't.

Thanks for all the advice over the last few weeks people.

Cheers,
John.
Old 01-Mar-2004, 16:48
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Another convert lost.............. a rare occurence indeed!!

But, never say never............ we're sure to see you back here soon!
Old 01-Mar-2004, 17:01
500SD

As you say, never say never

It is a cracking bike but I couldn't overcome my initial concerns, and I did start out by looking for an ST, just got distracted

Had a brief chat with an owner at Pro-twins Saturday morning. Not sure if it was anyone here - bike had termis on it and he was booking it in for a service apparently.

btw, first time I'd been to pro-twins. Very impressed with their setup, and they were very friendly.

Cheers,
John.