Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Nov-2005, 12:07
GTL

996 R

I have a chance to buy a 996 R and Iwas wondering IF there is anything special that I should be looking at when I go to look at the bike. The bike is a private sale, SO all you guys that have them, any good tips ?????
Thanks in advance
Old 30-Nov-2005, 12:20
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Service history and condition are the main things like any other bike.

Not all of the 996R's actually came with the headstock plaque, again if you do a search on the board there are a few related posts.

Mine originally did not have the plaque but hte original owner got one from the factory.

It should come with road legal and carbon termis along with another ECU for the 'proper' termis.

Again there are a few posats about the correct ECU numbers to go with the R.

Should also come with a grey rear paddock stand and red bike cover.

Hope that helps a little
Old 30-Nov-2005, 12:46
Big Twin

As above really, I also phoned Ducati UK with the chassis/engine numbers to confirm the bike was what it was advertised to be. I forget the girls name but she was very helpful and confirmed details of the bike and when and where registered and pdi etc.

As Shaun said some come without plaques. The side panels are carbon fibre, the seat unit is not nor the headlamp fairing. Also Carbon airbox, front mudguard, rear hugger are standard. Pad per piston front brakes and the front discs are thinner than before. And should have the deep sump sandcast engine also.

Cant think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck

Martin
Old 30-Nov-2005, 13:07
Ducati Corse

Martin being pedantic, moi! i don't think the carbon hugger was standard, but everything else was.

I look forward to being barracked from the cheap seats if i'm wrong
Old 30-Nov-2005, 13:19
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I see the oldskool boys are back in town
Old 30-Nov-2005, 13:25
GTL

This has all the carbon in the right places, and it has the Carbon fairing, was this standard ? It has a plaquey thingy bob.
Its a long way to travel from Sweden lol IF its a piece of sh it but looks FANTASTIC in the pics and has a complete service history, so well see as we need to iron out afew things 1st, but thanks again
Old 30-Nov-2005, 13:31
Big Twin

No Shaun youre right! I think I was getting carried away. I of course going to have to remove my hugger now to preserve 100% originality. Right after I've finished cleaning the dust out of my tyre treads with a toothbrush.

[Edited on 30-11-2005 by MARTIN H]
Old 30-Nov-2005, 13:34
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
This has all the carbon in the right places, and it has the Carbon fairing, was this standard ? It has a plaquey thingy bob.
Its a long way to travel from Sweden lol IF its a piece of sh it but looks FANTASTIC in the pics and has a complete service history, so well see as we need to iron out afew things 1st, but thanks again

Rick if its anywhere close to Manchester i don't mind having a look before you travel from Sweden.

It should have carbon lower fairings, but the headlaight bit is plastic, as is the seat unit.

Have reposted the SPS vs R comparison you asked about.

Martin, love it, get cleaning those tyres with a tooth brush
Old 30-Nov-2005, 13:39
Big Twin

I stand to be corrected (Again!) but although all had carbon fibre lower fairings some had the (naca?) vent painted over whilst most the duct was unpainted carbon.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 18:23
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Hi,

Where abouts in Sweden are you? I have one knocking about in CPH. Happy to show it to you.

The ones without plaques were designed to be used for racing. those not sold were sold off to dealers. There is a thread about this.

The side fairing panels are carbon. on the 998R the seat was.

Think the under seat cover is also carbon. has a owners manaul specially for the 996R as well.

There is a seperate parts manual for those bikes 0-150 and 150 and beyond.

Fantastic bike.