Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-May-2004, 23:51
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
ELECTRICAL PROBLEM HELP PLEASE !

My 998 bp has this very strange fault happening. I have spoken to several dealers, but not one has ever had this problem.
Up to 5000 revs my temprature gauge performs normaly showing an average 80 whatever the speed.
Take the revs over 5000 and instantly the gauge falls,
At 5500 the gauge goes down to 60
At 6000 the gauge shows 40
And over the gauge keeps falling
Drop the revs below 5000 and the gauge rises back to its normal position.
This fault is not speed related as it will do it at any speed and any gear.
Now this started in France when i have had long periods of sitting with the bike at fast revs and time to look at what is happening, but i cant say when it started.
NOW what has also happened but might be completly non related is that my alarm fuse blew. I obviously have changed the fuse to get back from France, and it has not blown since. However i have been keeping the revs under 5000 just in case.
WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG.
Answers on a post card to .................
Can anyone help me.
Thanks
Kev
Old 18-May-2004, 00:06
Ducati Corse

IMHO you need a new 998
Old 18-May-2004, 00:58
Dibble

It was sulking because you couldnt keep up with a lowly 996 ..... you do know it has a 5th and 6th gear dont you ....

what you want is a nice XJR1300 in burgundy with panniers ...
Old 18-May-2004, 10:22
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
My 996 has just started doing exactly the same thing on Sunday, at first I thought it was water loss, but the gauge moves too fast so like you say it must be electrical. First noticed it after passing through York centre in heavy traffic so thought the alternator was not coping at low revs, but a fast run to Helmsley then home did'nt change things. Going to check alternator output this week, but also wondered if this was some sort of voltage stabiliser for the gauge somewhere at the back of the instrument panel?
Old 18-May-2004, 11:09
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Sounds like either a bad earth in the circuit or that there's a fault in the tacho that is affecting the temperature gauge.

Try disconnecting the tacho and rev it again to see if it affects the temp gauge. You may need to take the top fairing off, but the tacho connector is a small 3-pin plug behind it.

If it still does the same then it's obviously not the tacho at fault, so it is most likely a bad earth somewhere.

Check all the connectors for the instruments - these are on push-fit connectors that have little latches on them to lock into place. It's quite easy to not connect them properly so disconnect each one and check the state of the connectors, then refit.

Failing that, it may be a bad voltage regulator? Have you tried the same thing with the lights on and off?
Old 18-May-2004, 19:53
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Hi chaps i had the same problem so i changed the gauge and it rectified it, for about 50 miles! So i suspected the new gauge was faulty, replaced it again lasted abou 100 miles!!!!

Stumped i was check the wiring and traced it on the wiring diagram ( by the way the resistor is in the temrature gauge itself) no faults.

Me thinks must be the vibration from the engine, no cant be how rubbish is that idea

Spoke to a very good main dealer and yes you have it, it's the vibration from the engine

Sorry cannot be more helpfull than that
Old 18-May-2004, 23:54
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
Well up to now this problem has been whilst moving, so tonight i ran the bike untill up to normal running temprature. Then took the revs up to 6000 where the problem was----- and nothing. So it doesnt seem to be doing it untill the engine is under load of some sort.
Tomorrows mission to take it out on the road again and see if it will happen again.
Could it be that in France it was working harder so whatever it is will not happen here ?
Not knowing anything about electrics could things that relate to the electrical system brake down when under heavier or longer periods of use !
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kev
Old 19-May-2004, 16:51
Mille

Mood: Built for comfort, not speed
Try checking in your header tank for water/oil emulsion
Old 19-May-2004, 16:59
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Search Shazzams posts - I seem to remember something like this recently
Old 20-May-2004, 19:16
500SD