Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Feb-2004, 17:56

Mood: chirpy
Cambelts

Hi All

Just about to change the belts on my 916. Have changed them a few times on my 750sport and have always sourced the belts from a bearing retailer at about a quater of the price ducati want for them. Anyway have any of you had any experience of sourcing belts for the 916 anywhere other than Ducati. From reading up I believe that they are kevlar reinforced. If anybody has any part numbers or names of retailers or even just advice it would be much appreciated.

Rich
Old 27-Feb-2004, 19:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Tried once upon a time to find them. No luck though. They are made by Gates but couldn't find them as a standard part, let alone the Kevlar reinforced ones.

IMO, not worth the risk. Sure they are expensive compared to ones from industrial suppliers, but it'll cost a whole lot more if one snaps on you.
I wouldn't be tempted to fit a steel braided one either for just the same reasons.
Consider it an insurance investment.
Old 27-Feb-2004, 19:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
As Nelly points out the amount of money saved isn't worth the risk IMO. The Kevlar ones are a lot cheaper than they once were and as you don't need to change them until 12000 miles of use which for a lot of owners is a couple of years, the most you could expect to save by sourcing cheaper ones is £20 a year, as I said not worth the risk
Old 27-Feb-2004, 19:49
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
I am picking my bike up from Snells on Saturday, they have just serviced it and changed the belts I have asked for the belts back as they were changed only last year? but they said they needed changing again. I hope I get my Sportingclub discount as the bill is £491.00
OUCH...

If I can find out any info I will post it .
Old 28-Feb-2004, 19:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
so how much are a set of ducati belts cost,i didn't expect them to cost too much there just belts aint they.
i've got to do mine soon.
Old 28-Feb-2004, 20:16
Ducati Corse

About £30 a pair for the 2 valvers and about £60 a pair for the four valvers i think. Someone will be along soon with exact prices for you..
Old 28-Feb-2004, 20:51
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
Just looking at my 996 sevice bill today and it say Cambelts £55.50 vat.
Old 02-Mar-2004, 17:36

Mood: chirpy
hi

Thanks for all the help. I do agree that it is not worth fitting an equivelent belt, its just not worth the risk. However I have just removed a belt and as said it is made by gates it also has all the product numbers on it so I am going to see my local supplier to see if he can get the exact same belt. I will let you know how I get on. In the mean time i have located a guy in Spain www.mdinaitalia.co.uk that sells the Gates belt without the Ducati logo for 20 euros each + Vat. I have spoken to him and he says they are exactly the same belt without the Ducati logo on. Its not the money I just dont like being taken for a ride so I try to source as many service parts as I can from other places than Ducati.
Old 02-Mar-2004, 17:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
good on ya
keep us posted
Old 02-Mar-2004, 18:51
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
This lot will sell to the UK but theirs are 32.5 Euros, they did me a good price on the Champion A55V plugs

http://www.techtwin.com/eng/catalog/misc1.htm

http://www.techtwin.com/eng/eng_techtwin.htm

And why A55V plugs,
Check it out Frank
http://www.bimotadb4.gmxhome.de/page7.html

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by skidlids]