Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jun-2004, 19:18
Montjuic

This oil OK?

Found some Amsoil 20w50 synthetic at a local shop for V Twins. Meets and exceeds API recommendation for my 996 S, but it does say formulated for Air cooled V Twins. Is my understanding correct that this is ok to run in liquid cooled, but if its formulated for liquid cooled, you cant run that in air cooled.
I guess what i'm trying to say is that if it says for air cooled, that doesnt matter with liquid cooled motors does it?
Old 19-Jun-2004, 22:16
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Should be okay but you just need to check the 20/50 viscosity is correct for your engine? I think it's a bit thick for our ambient temprature but check the owners manual.

mark
Old 20-Jun-2004, 02:04
Mille
Bikes: Multistraddle S, Cucciolo

Mood: Blown away!
I run that oil in my 748 and like it. I live in Phoenix so I wanted higher viscosity
Old 20-Jun-2004, 13:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
You should be fine. I'm running Agip 20W/50 in my motor at the moment and it seems to be good.
Good oil pressure when hot and the 20W rating will mean it'll hang around the rockers on a cold start, 'casue it's nice an thick.
Because it's thicker when cold though, make sure you let the bike warm properly and keep the fast idle a slow as possible. Just enough to start, and knock it off as soon as possible.
This is a good idea anyhow, regardless of the oil though.
Old 20-Jun-2004, 15:44
Montjuic

Thanks alot guys, i'll give it a try.
Old 21-Jun-2004, 15:30
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Amsoil is about the highest spec oil available to the general public. If you can get any kind of technical data from other brands check out how it compares.
It has a higher film strength and better "cling" than most other oil. With suspect rockers this is exactly what you need.