Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Mar-2005, 08:53
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Side stand follies

Was warming my ST4 up for a run into work on a very nice Friday morning, looking forward to riding my date home in the evening. Extra helmet netted on the back, jacket zipped up, engine idling nicely, back pack on, nice hint of Spring in the air. People next door were getting ready to leave for work and my bike was a little in the way of their departure. Stood it up, moved it forward a little, set it down on the side stand and
WHAM, down it goes onto a very low block wall at the edge of my driveway, clutch reservoir goes flying off into space, bike is on its side like a wounded horse, still plugging away pleasantly (you can lean one of these things over 90 degrees and they still run!!). Seems I moved the stand back a notch when moving the bike. Pick it up and think only the reservoir and clutch handle are knackered, but a quick look shows the top fairing broken from windshield to outer edge! Took me 10 minutes to get over the shock and head for the train instead.
Anyway, Ducati Assistance picked it up next day and I went to commiserate with my steed on Sunday. Fast idle lever also was gone so switch assembly needs replacement as well. Total bill will be 151,000 yen, about $1400. Clutch lever is about $100!
Bad news, but it gave me a chance to fire up my SS and have some fun.....sure like that little beast. Should have the ST back by Saturday.....I hope. Oh yeah, lady friend watched as it was being trucked away, first time she has really seen it during the day....She declared that it is a pretty motorcycle....kind of made me happy (while still crying inside)
Old 30-Mar-2005, 09:53
500SD

Dealer just told me month and a half to get the upper fairing and clutch assembly! What do I do with all this great weather and soon to blossom cherry trees??
Old 30-Mar-2005, 19:15
Ducati Corse

Maybe not much help to you but top fairings come up on ebay quite often.
Old 30-Mar-2005, 21:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi...7556#pid157331
Old 30-Mar-2005, 22:35
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Great idea Glyn, but I think that the postage to Japan may be a bit steep!
Old 06-Apr-2005, 04:02
500SD

Yeah, that is always the problem. ANother one is there are not that many STs over here yet, though that should change. They just enacted a law allowing two up riding on expressways and a lot of people are buying touring bikes now that they can go places fast with their significant others on board1
Appreciate the help anyway...Mille Grazie
Old 19-Apr-2005, 16:22
500SD

got it back, got it back! Picked it up on Saturday and rode into Tokyo for a baseball game. Great ride back home. Definitely brought a smile or two! Really want to break this engine in so I can see what it will really do. 7500 rpm shift points are not so bad, but it seems like things just start to happen there. Don't feel to bad about dropping it as my buddy did the same thing with his Harley and he is a bike safety instructor!
ANother weekend in the saddle!! Whoopee