Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-May-2005, 21:08

Clutch problems

Hi Guys- just come back from a great evening ride but have now got a slipping clutch so took it very steady home. For a while now I have been thinking the clutch hasn't been very
good but was begining to think that was just the way it is
(my st4 has always been a lot better than my old 750ss anyway). Could it just be the clutch plates and is it an easy job? I have recently had bike serviced with new hel brake and clutch lines so I know the fluid is ok etc. Any suggestions would be useful. Thanks
Old 09-May-2005, 22:31
Ducati Corse

Its dead easy to change the clutch. Order a set of ST4S alloy clutch plates though (much quieter then steel ones), assemble the pack in the same order as the plates you take out and dont do up the allen bolts that hold the springs too tight or the ends snap off (dont ask me how i know). You dont need any special tools, just some allen keys.

If you do a search i remember somone did a bit more of a step by step guide.
Old 10-May-2005, 00:33
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
I agree with paul, easy as hell - if you want a quieter clutch then go for the alloys or get someone to fit you a 48 tooth which are even quieter.
The trickiest bit is getting the plates at the back out and that just takes patience

The plates alternate between plain and grip, except for the back 2 which are both plain.

There's a link to the workshop manual in one of the threads - if you want all the details.
Old 11-May-2005, 22:03

Thanks for the replies guys. I know it probably is very easy
to do but the wife has banned me from delving in to the engine just in case I **** it up! Bike is booked in to have it done so if it only takes about half an hour or so shouldn't be too expensive (but there again it is a Ducati!).
Old 11-May-2005, 22:23
Ducati Corse

if you lived a bit closer to notts i'd do it for you for nothing.