Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jun-2005, 22:23
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
Track day virgin

Looking to do a track day on my ST2, but where do I start, who do I call and what would be a good track for a first timer.
Can i take a ST2 on the track with all those nutters.
Would I need to change the suspention ?
Would the old ST hold up after a good thrashing.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 22:27
Dibble

where are you based ??

when do you want to go ??

the options are almost endless ....

The ST2 will be fine, just ask Jools .... as for suspension what do you weigh ??

Give us those answers and we'll try and help ....
Old 13-Jun-2005, 22:33
Mille

Based in Berkshire, but how far should you travel after a track day.
13 stone or 80 kilos
Old 13-Jun-2005, 22:51
Dibble

might be worth sending Jools a u2u as he tracks his ST2 and will have some suspension settings, he may well be along later ...

in relation to your 1st trackday, try and choose somewhere that isn't too far to travel, I reckon Rockingham would be a good choice as it has a good mix of corners ... then maybe Brands but thats a little further to travel ....

personally if you are riding to a circuit then you dont want too long a ride home, you'll be amazed how tired you are ..... might even be worth renting a van .....
Old 13-Jun-2005, 23:02
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
Or why not come to Snetterton on Saturday week (25 June) for the DSC trackday? Guaranteed well mannered participants, only five sessions (rather than the usual six) so you won't be quite as tired, and a Saturday so you don't have to have the day off work. We've got a number doing their first trackdays so you won't be alone.

See here for more info or here for a list of who's going.
Old 13-Jun-2005, 23:32
Big Twin

Do you want a set of fairing panels and maybe a tank for it so you don't risk trashing your road going ones? Still for sale. Oh, it's black.

Also got a pair of std pipes.

<always the oportunist, me>
Old 14-Jun-2005, 09:23
Mille

What would i need to do to the bike, is there any regulations for tape over the lights or for bits that fall off.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 10:05
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by DIBBLE
might be worth sending Jools a u2u as he tracks his ST2 and will have some suspension settings, he may well be along later ...

And here I am now...right on cue

The ST2 will be fine on the track, and as long as you're confident that it's in good nick to start with in the engine, suspension, brakes department it won't mind a good thrashing. Of course if you start the day knowing that it's been 3 years and 20,000 miles since you changed the oil and cam belts, that your fork seals are leaking and that your brakes need bleeding then a good thrashing might not be such a good idea. I'm not talking about "race preparation" here, as long as I know that I'm on top of routine maintenance that would apply to any bike I don't do any special preparation for a track day except to take my mirrors off and tape over indicators, lights and number plate.

I even run the same suspension settings, road or track, We are about the same weight so the following might work for you although I can't guarantee it, look in the owners manual for how to twiddle with these settings (the owners manuals are also on-line HERE. A couple of caveats to fiddling with your suspension, I've just realised that shortly after my 2001 bike was produced the forks were changed and you will only have preload adjustable on later bikes, the other caveat is that if you're in any doubt about suspenion settings, leave them as standard. Anyway, here's what works for me...

Front: Preload 6 1/2 turns back from fully hard. Compression damping 10 clicks back (anti-clockwise) from fully hard (clockwise), Rebound damping 11 clicks back from fully hard

Rear: Preload 6 clicks from fully soft, compression (remote adjuster under the seat) about half way, rebound about 3/4 from fully soft

The main thing to do with your suspension to make the bike turn quicker is to increase the rear ride height. You'll see the ride height adjuster next to the shock. It has a couple of rose joints at either end. If the ride height is set as it comes out of the factory you will see virtually no thread on between the rose joints and the locknut. It will help the bikes 'turn in' if you slacken the locknuts (the bottom one is a left hand thread) then rotate the ride height adjuster two full turns clockwise. This will add about 10 mm to the length of the rod and because of the cantilever type arrangement, will raise your ride height by about 20 mm...This simple mod will make the bike much more willing to turn but don't go beyond an overall 20mm ride height, it doesn't make much ntoiceable difference to the speed the bike will turn and makes it twitchy...I know, I've been there.

I run my tyre pressures at 30 psi front and 34 rear on the track, just a couple of pounds less than the road, to account for the fact that your tyres will run hotter and the air inside them will expand.

As for the track, any track will do but you will have more fun if you choose a circuit that's more about handling than out and out power. Rockingham is good (except in the wet when it becomes like an ice rink), Mallory is a nice little circuit, both for the ST and for track day virgins because it's short, relatively easy to learn, doesn't have any huge long straights but is still more than enough to test yourself on. Cadwell is wonderful but could be quite tricky to learn first time out. Never been to Brands Indy but that looks like a nice ST circuit. Basically, I just avoid going to places like Snetterton and Silverstone where there are long straights and the more powerful bikes are just going to leave you standing, but don't let my preferences stop you.

In terms of suitability for track days, a well set up ST2 is just about on par with a standard 748 (it won't stay with a 748R though). The 748 has about 10-12 more bhp and will start to outdrag the ST about 100-150 yards into a straight, the ST has more low down grunt and will punch out of corners quicker (and therefore hold it's own for the first 100-150 yards). On tighter sections the grunt of the ST and the wide bars (that make the steering easier) will be a good match for the tighter handling of the 748.

As for nutters, as Lizzie says, getting in on a DSC day is THE BEST introduction to track days that anyone could have. Everyone is respectful and there is no 'Nutter' behaviour (don't read that as being slow)

[Edited on 14-6-2005 by Jools]
Old 14-Jun-2005, 10:13
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools

As for nutters, as Lizzie says, getting in on a DSC day is THE BEST introduction to track days that anyone could have. Everyone is respectful and there is no 'Nutter' behaviour (don't read that as being slow)

Failing that ANY of the days organised by No Limits (http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/index.html) would be an ideal introduction. Mark and the lads at NL run a very tight ship, and will bump anyone they think is either too fast fot the group, or showing a lack of respect to other riders PARTICULARLY in the novice group.

Before I got the 996, I regularly tracked my ST2 and the bike is far more capable than you would ever believe.
Old 14-Jun-2005, 10:16
Big Twin

You don't have to do much really. They prefere that you tape over anything glass, so gaffer tape over headlights, mirrors etc. You would be advised to remove some bits, if only to reduce cost of any potential repairs. I had a spill on my ST2 when a car got in my way and things that got bent were footpeg hangers (they cost £50 each new), edge of the exhaust (£365 per std can), 3 fairing panels down one side (average cost £250 each). That is why I have a load of bits left over from the rebulid, I bought part of a bike that was being broken but never used the fairing.

On my 749S I spend an hour the night before changing the fairing for cheap race plastic, remove taillight/plate assy, remove rear footpeg hangers, change bip seat unit for cheap race plastic. The mirrors/indicators don't go back on, insted usign tie-wraps to hold the fairing on to the brackets. Pair of R&G crash protectors go on the sides, as I have holes drilled for those in the race fairing. That is in an attempt to save the clutch if I go down. The race fairing covers the heaglight unit, otherwise I'd tape them up. I decided to go for tyre warmers, and I am glad I did. On the 3 occassions I have been on track this year (Cadwell) it has been on cold, damp days. People have been coming off left right and centre, mainly due to cold tyres (probably).

Hope that helps, rather than puts you off. It's worth a little effort to save your pride and joy (IMHO), and riding your bike on track is really something else. I consider mysefl very lucky though to have Cadwell so near because it is a brilliant track. Some say not good for beginners, but I disagree (as do the No Limits guys). It has everything there so you get to experience it all from the off. Also, it's mostly corners and hills, so your ST2 would do fine.