Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Aug-2003, 23:10

Advice on 916 for Ducati Virgin

Hello all,

I have the opportunity of acquiring a Senna II 916 (1997 FSH) which I have to say has me tempted. However, I am complete virgin when it comes to Ducati's and I'm worried about going at it blind.

Can anyone offer any advice? e.g how to avoid a nail, how to ensure it's a good one and any potential future pitfalls? What are the servicing costs like, how easy is it to find a reputable service centre and when are the intervals?

My background so far has been purely Yamaha but having been a Ducati (and not to mention Senna) fan I am very tempted (even if recollection of Senna's superbike days seems to have slipped past me )

Thanks in advance,
Graeme.
Old 08-Aug-2003, 23:38
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Best thing to do is to try and get a existing Ducati owner to go along with you to check it out. There are several members of this board that offer Ducati Servicing, such as Nelly and Mike Davis

Also lots of info on the web

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/technical.htm
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/916_senna.html
Old 09-Aug-2003, 06:20
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Whay hey,another local boy!

Hello and welcome.
The main thing to look for when buying a Duke is service history,service history and service history.Have a look at the service/warranty book and find out when it was last serviced and by whom.
The service intervals are,
First service-600 miles or 6 months(whatever comes first)
6000 miles or one year
12,000 or two years (the big one,belts changed,everything checked).
You will need to know what cam belts have been fitted.You need the latest kevlar ones with the red writing on.Also the voltage regulator may be the older type.Its down under the battery and will have "Ducati Energia" or similar stamped on it.If its a large grey one on an alloy plate,your in luck,its one of the later types.There is no red ignition/charging light with this one.
After that its the usual thing of checking for oil leaks,worn/tired suspension,chain/sprockets,tyres,etc.

Good luck!
Old 09-Aug-2003, 12:49
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Oi Keefyboy...

The man's in Stamford, that's in your back yard innit?

And, since you know more than most about all things Ducati...get my drift?
Old 09-Aug-2003, 14:27

Hmm, interesting. What's the issue with the old voltage regulator?

Will check those things.

Are they any problems running low octane fuels through the bike? Likely destination for the bike has very poor fuel - time for an additive?

Cheers,
Graeme.
____________________________--
www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk
Old 09-Aug-2003, 19:52

Lost me there mate What's the actual problem with the old vs new regulator? Is this an issue that will need immediate attention?

Cheers,
Graeme.
Old 10-Aug-2003, 07:31
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Voltage regulators.

The old type voltage regulators were fairly unreliable due to the lack of heat dissapation.The early 916 ones were bolted to the plastic battery tray right alongside the engine.Ducati then started to bolt a lump of finned ally to the reg to act as a heat sink.There were still problems with failed units,I know,I had two fail in a month on my 916.
From about '98 onwards the factory fitted a Japanese made unit that was much more reliable and was bolted to a large alloy plate,tho again,still there under the battery.
The older type reg. is about 3" x 2",and has Ducati Energia stamped on it.
The latest unit is about 4"x 3" and made by Shindengen.Usually a grey colour.
Chances are that the bike you are looking at has had the regulator changed at some time,either for the Ducati replacement,or a pattern unit,such as Electrex or Newtronics.

As for the fuel,I remember reading an article of a guy touring Russia on a 750ss.His bike did'nt like the low grade petrol,so I imagine a 916 would'nt either. Best stock up with octane booster then!