Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Aug-2003, 16:34
Mille

Mood: yes mistress
air filter

Anyone got any advice, I've been told that I need to change my air filter every year or 2000 miles which ever comes first. The bike has a after market filter on it, I can't remember the make (itg or ltg something with 3 letters)but it is a single piece, quite large and oval (748). as it is better that the standard two pieces does it still need changing in that time?
Old 10-Aug-2003, 18:25
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

No, but it does need to be cleaned regularly. The ITG over-the-bellmouth filter is designed to be washed in kerosene and re-coated with a filter oil that helps trap dirt. As long as the foam is in good shape it can be reused.
Old 13-Aug-2003, 10:32
Mille

Mood: Ha ha eat my flailing tyre rubbe
Mmm me too

Could someone shed some light on this one. I think I should be cleaning my ITG filter soon too, had it a while now looks clean enough but you can imagine the dust in there. I used to clean my Kwak filter 'which was quite good' with brake cleaner and then the excess would come out all crappy. The itg is too big for that so shaz's kerosene jobbie seems about right. Isn't shaz a Yank though ? Do they call petrol, kerosene ? Or is that Gas? You can see the need for clarification here. Weeksy, when you bought the filter it should have had a can of special dust retention spray with it. If not you should be able to pick one up at a dealer or tuning house. Wonder if there's an alternative to that too...
Old 13-Aug-2003, 10:56
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Weeksy/Flyingbanana...

Got a JHP one on the 996, best thing to do is find a local MX shop.... as if you ever had, or maybe still have an MX bike, they need the air filter cleaned after every big mission....

Get hold of some filter cleaner (I use PJ1 filter cleaner.... smells nice too, but also gives you cancer !!!, so wear gloves etc), spray heavily, manipulate the filter, rinse heavily under a tap, until all traces are gone....

Leave to dry, not lube filter with filter oil, again I use PJ1 (red stuff), wear gloves again here, as this stuff is stickier than chain lube!!!, work into the filter, and then refit....

I'd also be tempted to lightly spray the inside of your airbox, to catch as much dust as possible.

HTH...
Old 13-Aug-2003, 11:05
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Filter Cleaning

K&N, the filter manufacturer, sells both a cleaner and a dirt-retention oil that is available in the UK from Demon Tweeks and others.

Kerosene is commonly substituted as a cleaner/solvent because it's inexpensive and much safer to use than petrol (gas to us Yanks.)

Some filters such as Pipercross have two layers of foam bonded together so harsh solvents like carb cleaner may damage the adhesive or the foam itself.