Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Aug-2003, 22:06
Ducati Meccanica

Over cooked starter solarnoid..

Just a quick one here peeps,
Anyone suffered from the problem of the starter solarnoid packing up , due to excessive heat .
Went into Knightsbridge on monday afternoon, bike stalled, and would not start again.
called out RAC, he checked bike out found that the solarnoid had packed up probably helped along by excessive heat behind fairing panel.
Managed to limp home, and fitted another on tuesday, only for the same to happen again.
Have fitted a third unit all seems OK at present, rest of bike electrics are A1.
What goes on here peeps..or is this just another duke problem...
cheers
Red...
Old 15-Aug-2003, 23:15
Mille

Mood: boo hoo what have i done !!!
would it have anythig to do with you fitting the 996R carbon panels.... Is the solenoid getting enough air ?????
Old 15-Aug-2003, 23:15
Mille

Mood: Got that track day bug real bad
Sounds like we need Shazaam.

Heres an idea(bad i know)how about getting one of thoughs lights they used to call batman for members in need?

Big (Shaz) in the sky

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by stoddy]
Old 15-Aug-2003, 23:28
Ducati Meccanica

I hope it's not those carbon panel mate.
If i am correct, there is only current flowing through the solarnoid when the starter button is pushed, so should only get warm if you really crank the engine over, then cool down again when the starter is not being used.
but could be totally wrong, would'nt be the first time

cheers
Red..
Old 16-Aug-2003, 01:23
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

A common problem with superbikes is that after running fine and then shut off, it won't start again, say after a refueling stop. You don't hear a click of the solenoid or the starter motor turning. Sometimes if you wait a few minutes it will restart normally. The culprit is the two-wire plastic connector plug located behind the starter solenoid (the round gold component near the battery.) The connector often makes a poor connection from distortion or corrosion. Usually jiggling or unplugging and plugging the connector will get you going again. It may be that the heat inside the fairing causes thermal expansion of the components and exacerbates the problem.

So check the electrical connector that goes to the solenoid, they always seem to fit poorly. The connectors get distorted, or they just get corroded.

In your case, the original solenoid was probably OK given that you experienced the same problem with the new second solenoid. For now, the third solenoid may be working OK but if you have future problems, just replace the connector plug.
Old 16-Aug-2003, 13:37
Dibble

I wouldnt flash a sign up that says "SHAZ" mate, half of Desmondos Essex conquests would respond ...

I can hear the stampede of white stilletoes now .....
Old 16-Aug-2003, 20:48
Mille

Mood: Got that track day bug real bad
True, How about just S