Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-May-2005, 23:47
Mille

Mood: dooM
Should I have side to side play in my Renthal sprocket / carrier

Hi all,

Having recently replaced my rear sprocket with a Renthal jobbie, I was checking it this evening to find a bit of side to side play (imagine pulling on the sprocket as if taking it off the hub and that is the direction of movement i.e. not back to front which I know shouldn't be there).

I inspected the cush drive rubbers when I have the original sprocket off and they all looked good so wonder if there is meant to be an element of play there. I assume the sprocket can only be fitted one way round (with the Renthal sticker facing outwards?).

Anyone got any ideas on this?
Old 05-May-2005, 23:50
Mille

I should also add the play is between the sprocket and carrier. The coupling assembly is solid.
Old 06-May-2005, 00:49
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
The sprocket should be bolted down tight on the carrier, the 8mm studs come through from the back of the carrier the sprocket fits over them and then nylock nuts or similar should clamp the lot together by pulling the sprocket up tight against the carrier.
Old 06-May-2005, 08:58
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Strange because i have the same problem with mine on my 748, the play is as hogfish describes, now i dont know how much play your having but mine is very slight but its there
Old 06-May-2005, 12:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
snap I had the same
its as if the assembly is rocking on the cush drives, which are new however when I put them in they dropped in rather than having to be pressed.
wound everything up a bit more and it seams to have gone away now ?
Old 06-May-2005, 13:31
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
I had this on a sprocket carrier (unknown make).
I fastidiously measured it against the original sprocket and found that the position of the big circlip groove was a couple of mm different the position on the OEM sprocket.
As a result, the circlip did not hold the sprocket carrier tightly against the "hub" (cast pentagon bit). This allowed the sprocket carrier and sprocket to float as you describe.
No amount of tightening cush drive bolts or 42mm retaining nut will improve the float.

I didn't feel comfortable with this situation so I got my money back and shelled out on a quality STM carrier.

R X

[Edited on 6-5-2005 by RickyX]
Old 06-May-2005, 23:41
Mille

RickyX - I think, looking at mine tonight, that the problem you had with the circlip grove is causing the same problem for me. What is basically happening is the sprocket and cush drives are all moving in the carrier. I think the circlip groove is effectively less distance from the outer edge of the assembly that the OEM one giving it a bit of play. I will endeavor to take it off this weekend and recheck everying.
Old 07-May-2005, 00:09
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
I was going to look further into my problem but as the bike is being PX for a 999R in the next month i am just going to live with it, have had it for over 6 months with the movement and it does not seem to have gotten any worse and i have not noticed any problems while out on it, however i am sure if i was intending to keep th ebike i would have reverted back to stock sprocket or looked deeper into the problem.