Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Aug-2004, 18:21
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
l/w wheels V ohlins

ok guys & gals,
which is likely to make the most difference in handling, lightweight wheels or ohlins forks (assuming they are correcty set up)??

Seems to me, for about the same money, I could have either. Would be difficult to swing past her who must not be named, but 1 is better than nothing

Not having ridden anything with either, I cant imagine the difference it makes, whether positive or negative. Also, I read on here somewhere that R&T are far better than R standard type ones, which are not that much of an improvement over showas (apart from looks of course!) particulary if you spend a couple of quid on springs and decent oil?

bradders
Old 17-Aug-2004, 18:28
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
pretty sure the lightwight wheels would make a far bigger difference especially when you think you can get your existing suspension dialled in correctly for not too much cash.
Old 17-Aug-2004, 18:32
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Lightweight wheels!!! Thats the way to go, easy to fit and will bring an instant improvement - plus easily resaleable.

Tim
Old 17-Aug-2004, 18:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Lightweight wheels!!! Thats the way to go, easy to fit and will bring an instant improvement - plus easily resaleable.

Tim

and boy should Tim know

have to agree though. If your suspension is set up correctly then the wheels will make the bike steer far quicker. I tried a R1 on BST Carbon wheels and had to completely recalibrate my head for the tip in points. Unbelievable. They were only 4.5kg.........the pair!!
The forks would probably improve the ride, especially on the road, over the bumps but this is acheivable with a good setup session.
Old 17-Aug-2004, 19:18
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Wheels Paul, but ideally you need your suspension set up to suit them.
As less mass is working on the suspension it should be easier for the damping to control the forces oso bike set up will be a improvement as well as the benifits of quicker steering and acceleration of a lighter mass.
Old 18-Aug-2004, 00:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
But don't ya just love the look of Ohlins. It would be Ohlins for me. The new discs I've just put on are 8oz heavier than std. That's a 1lb in total and I never noticed any concerable difference. I did notice the difference when I first fitted the mags, but once I had got used to em I couldn't tell the difference. Don't put dunlops on and swop your std disc's for a set of 998 / 996r disc's and put the change in your pocket. Then again if you like the look of carbon, mags etc, you fit them purley because you like a nice bit of kit on your bike like I do. Ya pays ya money and makes yer choice.
Old 18-Aug-2004, 00:43
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
If you want any 20mm ohlins shim packers for re-valving, let me know.
I've just had mine re-valved to 25mm. free to the person that wants them.
Old 18-Aug-2004, 10:24
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Deffo lighter wheels mate. Makes a world of difference to the bike, in fact so much difference, I don't think I'd ever want to own another bike with standard wheels.
Old 18-Aug-2004, 12:30
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
thanks for all the feedback, wheels look the way to go (altho ohlins look sooo damn sexy!!) probably just get the showa set up and improved springs etc, and hold out until I can afford some marcs or dymags....anyone got any going cheap cheap cherpy cheap cheap??
Old 18-Aug-2004, 12:42
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
cant vouch or commetn on light weight wheels but has the 748S with SHOWA forks but now have the 748R with OHLINS and they are in a different league and look the biz..OHLINS all the way