Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 28-Mar-2005, 17:09
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Ques for new female riders

After years of deliberation my wife has decided to give riding a go.
So ladies out there which route did you all take and which in your view was the safest.
scooter then bike or 125 etc.
any comments helpfull as i dont want to put my wife off with the wrong advice.
Plus is the 620 monster sold restricted and is this really a good bike to have after passin your test
thanks
ian
Old 28-Mar-2005, 17:23
500SD

Mood: Buoyant.
My wife passed her test on a 500 Kawasaki and then bought a 600SS the day after, followed by a 900SL, ST4 and Buell.

Passing that way meant she could ride a proper bike straightaway.

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by Spen]
Old 28-Mar-2005, 17:57

Mood: Sifting for gold
Hi! I took Direct Access last year and got Monster 620. I don't know they're sold restricted? Direct Access has to be the way so you can choose what to ride after. Monster lovely and low, fab to ride, gentle and quite forgiving when you need it but loads of oomph when you're ready for it!
Old 28-Mar-2005, 18:04
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
They`ve got the vote but I say enough is enough!
Old 28-Mar-2005, 18:12
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
only prob with direct access is size - a lady of 5' and under may struggle and have to do the 125 route. Then they can build up the tiptoe confidence needed.

should be able to restrict a 620 easily enough - I think the knits are usually about 50 quid which means she can have what she wanst and wait for the extra bhp
Old 28-Mar-2005, 18:22
Big Twin

My wife decided to give riding bikes a go a couple for years ago after I took it up again. She learnt to ride down some back lanes on an old GS500 (really a rat bike), as a lead up to doing the Direct Access. They taught her on CB500 twins, solid and stable. She wanted a 620 Monster but we couldn't afford it that year and she ended up with a 600 Bandit. A mistake in hindsight, because it was too high (she is "not tall") and too top heavy. She pranged that the following summer under some odd circumstances (long story), and then got the 620 Monster she always wanted. Her leg was in plaster for 4 weeks having broken it in the accident, and then it was take delivery of the monster, get to the 600 mile service in about 2 weeks and then 3 days later she got used to the bike by riding it 2500 miles around France as we had a Gite booked in the Dordogne. She loves that bike, and in fact just took it out this afternoon for her first ride of the year ... 5 months or so off it and got straight back into enjoying it again. Says it all I think.

As regards restricting a monster ... when we were first looking for bikes for her I asked about the 400 monster that they sell in Japan. Apparently it is so underpowered it is not worth considering, because the Monster is not a light bike. HAving said it's not light, it does have a low centre of gravity so it doesn't give her the trouble that the Bandit did and she can manhandle it. That is mainly practice rather than strength, or perhaps a combination of both. Don't be put off by one bike being a few kg heavier, the monster doesn't feel it.

All in all, I don't think the direct access system did her any harm, as she hurt herself on the Bandit "stopping" from about 50 mph not going too fast! It was down to exerience and "survival reactions" which go against what is safest on the bike, rather than not being ready for a 600.

Hope that helps, and you didn't fall asleep TOO early on ...

Henry
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
All valid points, Henry. Depends on the confidence level of the rider, I think. I bought a 600cc Yamaha, sit up and beg variety, the day after passing my direct access course, so had only ridden a 125 and only for 5 days, nothing prior to that. My first reaction was '**** it's fast', but that was the only thing that felt really different, because other than the weight and the speed, the riding position and everything I'd learned on the Yamaha 125 was the same.

I would always recommend buying a first bike that mirrors the riding position of the bike you learn on, whether it be sports or sit up and beg. That's one less thing to think about. Passing your test gives you a great feeling of confidence. That confidence is easily dented if you immediately throw too many differences into the equation.

Generally, I'd say a 600 isn't too big to move up to immediately. Buying a bike that makes her want to get out on it as much as possible is key. Enthusiasm can overcome reams of reservations. Buying a bike that doesn't feel right, eg feet not flat on the floor, tank too wide, handle bars too much of a reach, all of those things add to the discomfort a new rider has and could be enough to discourage regular outings.

Hope that's helpful.

Best of luck
Ruth
Old 28-Mar-2005, 20:31
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
My girl took her DAS last year and bought a spanking new Triumph Daytona 600 as her first bike. I think she actually bought it before she passed!!

The DAS course was 125cc for the first day then 500cc for the rest of the time with test at end. Usual set up I think. I'm all up for more girls on bikes - better than looking at a bloke from behind.

Ade.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 20:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
She made a good choice, Ade. What colour? Yellow I hope.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 20:52
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Why have a 620 monster? Get a 900 or 100DS, you can still restrict it and you won't end up wanting to get a bigger one after 6 months!

I know it's all down to the ladies confidence but I can't stand this thing with women having to have short arse bikes.
I'm 5'4 and fat and I ride a jacked up 748 and before that a 750SS, both tall bikes which I could not comfortably touch the floor on.
The way I deal with it is to shuffle over to one side and just put one foot down rather than tiptoeing on two. And push the bike around car parks rather than trying to paddle it around.
Anyway, 99.9% of the time you are on the bike you have your feet on the pegs!!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit