Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 31-Mar-2005, 14:24
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Thanks everyone I'll see how it goes from here.
looks like direct access is the way to go though.
ian
Old 31-Mar-2005, 21:49
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
I did CBT and rode a 125 for a year, but only 600m due to battery problems. Then did DAS on a cCB500, 2 days then test. Bought a M620 a week later - absolutely great first bike, very stable and forgiving. Now a year on have got the MTS620, which is at my limit height wise, but ok due to being more confident.

DAS was definitely worth it. However, if you do choose to go the restricted route, I have been told that twins are better than IL4's - probably down to the low rpm torque.
Old 31-Mar-2005, 23:35
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
I'd go the CBT direct access route which is what I did.
DO NOT under any circumstances allow hubby to watch or try to teach you.:P
I don't think that it matters whether it's a woman or male instructor as long as you are comfortable with them.
My instructor was an ex Para...and once he'd got your personality he then either taunted you into passing or nurtured you into it...I had the former, I dropped it on a U turn and he told me i'd lost my bottle and walked off leaving me to pick it up! I was so angry but he knew that I was not about to let it beat me!!! He was ACE. The girl I took my test with needed lot's of TLC which he gave her, explaining in detail about EVERYTHING (much to my impatient annoyance)Still go and have a cup of tea with him some Sunday's if I'm about!
I did my CBT, had a Cagiva Mito delivered 3 weeks later, and did my direct access about 6 weeks after that. I'd never been on the back of a bike, let alone rode a pushbike confidently! I've never looked back!
I can agree with what Ruth and Jen say. It's not about confidence tho'...I'd just say it's about practice...listening to people, not taking advice but storing info, and riding as often as you can.
Please dont go the scooter route...That's what people expect from women...If you want it to pootle round town then that's fine, but dont just go for scooter because you dont think you "ought" to!
GO FOR IT!
Old 03-Apr-2005, 19:04
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
do the direct access course as the few pounds yuo save doing the 125 test you lose straight away paying over £200 for the restrictor kit

buy a 400 or a monster to start with, plenty quick enough and if he loves you enough he'llw ait for you to catch up :P:P:P:P

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit