Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Nov-2005, 16:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
nicked by plod for use of mobile in car

10mph in a queue of traffic. Yes I was wrong but a ticking off would have done. Sometimes I think they could do themselves a favour on the PR. Not like I was passing at school at closing time.

Still at least its not a points and tell your insurance about it job which it will be in a few months
Old 03-Nov-2005, 17:54
Mille

Mood: I started life with nothing and still have most of it left
This could be one of those that open a can of worms but for my 10 penneth I still believe we should have some control over our own actions and as we all make risk assessments every day like crossing a road only when it's clear I think this also falls into the same category
G
Old 03-Nov-2005, 17:57
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I never, ever tell anyone they got just what they deserved (normally), but using a mobile whilst driving is a pet peeve of mine.

I'm glad you won't get any points, etc, but equally glad you got nicked. It's not on, whatever the conditions or the circumstances.

Now getting off the high horse before I fall off.
Old 03-Nov-2005, 18:07
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Well theyre bringing in new Charges like Death through Careless driving (encompases using a mobile & killing someone ) which carries a maximum penalty of 5 yrs imprisonment.

/ian
Old 03-Nov-2005, 18:33
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
Originally posted by Loz
I never, ever tell anyone they got just what they deserved (normally), but using a mobile whilst driving is a pet peeve of mine.

I'm glad you won't get any points, etc, but equally glad you got nicked. It's not on, whatever the conditions or the circumstances.

Now getting off the high horse before I fall off.

Major pet hate of mine too.

I used to have a hands free until one day at 70mph on the motorway in traffic I took a five minute call and realised at the end of it that I had no recollection of what had happened driving wise during the call. I could have killed someone.

Now I leave the mobile in the glove box and never ever answered a call in the last 3 years.................................until last week when I was expecting a call from an unhappy customer and had left the phone in my top pocket. It rang..... I took it out of my pocket and put it to my ear....................... just as a traffic cop stepped out from behind a car he had just stopped for speeding...............I smiled and took the ticket.......Serves me right...........The phone now stays in the glove box again.

Some may think it's safe to use them but I know of two motorcyclists around here who have been killed by people driving while using their mobile phones.

It's just not worth it.
Old 03-Nov-2005, 18:39
Mille

I have to agree with the majority here, i was following a car down a 60 mph road doing around 25mph and all over the place, hen it was safe i passed him, guess what he was on the phone, if he had been in a built up area with the usual hazards the other road users would not of had a chance
Old 03-Nov-2005, 18:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
I know it seems harmless when queuing in traffic but for my twopenneth, if it's important enough to speak on the phone and you're not hands free, it's important enough to pull off the road and stop driving to answer.

I've made a point of checking out drivers that have seemed to be erratic, both when I'm riding and driving. A high proportion of them are using mobiles that are not hands free.

Still, unlucky 749er and I wouldn't wish bad luck on anyone.
Old 03-Nov-2005, 19:30
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

When I am on bike and I see middle aged business men in 4x4s serving all across the road while on the phone, it makes me furious. On a bike, I cannot see why anyone would not be concentrating 100% on their driving.

When driving to work, I all too easily become the very thing that I ctiticise when on a bike. Why do i use the phone - admittedly blue tooth? Because driving a car on a commute day in day out is sooooooo boring - however flash the car. In fact, not remembering the journey is a blessing.

This is why I am increasingly using a bike to get to work. It is never boring, I am always fresh when i arrive, and although workmates say, Oooh! isn't it dangerous, i say "yes, but when i am so cocooned from danger that i run over someone and don't notice. then I say, some danger is good"

here endeth the lesson........................
Old 03-Nov-2005, 19:31
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

By the way, that was "swerving" all over the road. Anything else would be very messy...........................
Old 03-Nov-2005, 20:08
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
See them every day van drivers, women(mostly young) taxi drivers all using mobiles, yet i have never once seen anyone stopped for it , whats the use of a law if it's not enforced ???

people know they can get away with it so they just carry on yacking into their phones regardless
Followed a car going to work a couple of weeks ago driving erratically and coming up to a junction onto a main road i spotted the phone in her right hand car had 3 passengers she turned right out the side road we where in onto the main road i was close enough to see her TEXTING with her right hand while negotiating the junction FFS !!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit