Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:46
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Hmm, dont know, you saying that Bobbies got a heart?

woooooooooooooooooooo

woudl'nt go that far
Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:51
GTL

Totally agree with BIG-G and Chass. LOZ : Have you ever broken the speed limit?If so,did you consider if it was any more appropriate to do it past a village primary school or on an empty road? Surely circumstances have to be an issue. Dseered : I assume you have NEVER fiddled with the radio/looked at a map/eaten/drank/smoked etc whilst driving or riding? Any of these could also be construed as a 'hazard' to other road users. Once again,circumstances must be taken into consideration.
I dont condone the use of mobiles whilst driving,but don't see it as a given that it's worse than other in-car distractions.749er...I think you were unfortunate,and I agree a ticking-off would have been sufficient.Maybe the copper could spare the time to find the criminal who caused £500 worth of damage to my car instead if he has nothing better to do......
Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:57
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Quote:
Originally posted by chass
A lot of hypocrites out there, who smokes,eats,drinks,or reads a map when driving. you see it all the time.

Smoking whilst driving...Mmm???
I think that as much concentration is lost when getting one out of a packet one handed and then lighting up.
Then again just think about the last time you reached forward for a CD, or to change the channel on the radio.
Those in glass houses........................!
Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:58
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Quote:
Originally posted by sye73 LOZ : Have you ever broken the speed limit?If so,did you consider if it was any more appropriate to do it past a village primary school or on an empty road? Surely circumstances have to be an issue.

If I do speed, it is with due regard to the circumstances (e.g. not in a village or town, with due consideration for other traffic, etc), but more importantly, I do it with my full concentration.
Old 03-Nov-2005, 23:02
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
Let's face it !

If you took Phones, radio's, fags, passengers, and anything els you could out of a car!

then tied some drivers hands to the wheel! they still would'nt drive properly!!
Old 03-Nov-2005, 23:42
Big Twin

Hang on whilst I just climb aboard me soap box
[soapbox]
I can remember someone getting done for eating an apple whilst driving (this year?).
Think it all comes down to being in control and to be honest, if yer on the phone then as most agree - yer not compus mentus on yer driving.
Meself nearly got took out by dickswede on tuesday morning. Me in outside lane on bike, him in middle lane on phone drifting into outside lane whilst on phone and braking harshly (cos he didn't realise the cars in front were braking hard).

[/soapbox]
Old 03-Nov-2005, 23:54
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
In the last 2 days I have had about 5 near misses, none my fault. All due to t'other not paying attention for whatever reason. One of those was potentially a 10 car pileup at 70mph - I had enough space but the guy who forced his way in behind me did not, and he was going mmmmmmmph faster than I was.......

The others were all cars pulling out of junctions without looking. I drive an Astravan and had the lights on......

So it strikes me that mobiles are not the only cause of "non-attention" accidents by a long shot.

But, laws are laws. Is 50mph in a 30 any better or worse than using a mobile ??? Far more people routinely break the speed limit in residential areas than use hand held mobiles.
Old 04-Nov-2005, 00:40
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Well just back from the cop shop doing the HORTE thing.

Just to be clear. I do have a hands free kit. I dont use the phone without it, but today I had been on the phone all morning, and the battery had died on it. I do agree that it is a bad thing, but so is smoking and eating/drinking changing the channel on the radio etc

Good point on the observation, but I cant see round corners. I was queueing in a line of stop start traffic when the phone wrang. Police car approached from a side road, and was naturally looking to his right and saw me.

I agree with every single one of you that its a bad idea to do anything while driving. Last time I was out I was almost taken out on a roundabout by a guy reading a map, then turning right from the left hand lane when I was trying to go straight on. (dual carraigeway)

What is interesting about the use of phones in cars debate is that there are 2 schools of thought. One says you should not use the phone and drive as you are not concentrating on what you are doing. If so then we should not be using phones at all, even with hands free. The other is that it is ok to talk.

I am still a bit down about it. A combination of knowing it was my own fault, knowing that its not my normal behaviour and that also when I am in the car I drive like an angel. Never speed these days, (I have a 1.4 TDI 3 cylinder Audi A2) so there is no point in driving fast.

The girl who did my Horte thought it was a bit harsh too.
Old 04-Nov-2005, 01:53
GTL

Loz : That is precisely my point "...due regard to circumstances/surroundings" 749er was in a traffic jam doing 10mph!!

Dseered : You mentioned that you were caught speeding,is that not also hazardous to other road users??!! Also,I think if you are being totaly honest,you cannot say that you do and always will know everything that is happening around your vehicle (If you're pulling out of a t-junction and a cyclist pulls up in your rear quarter blind spot,you think you'd be able to see him,EVERY TIME,WITHOUT FAIL?).
Still reckon this is the type of situation that doesn't help with the overall opinion of the police.....Still going for the easy target.In my situation,I was unlucky that there was no police officer around..agreed.What really annoys me is that even when a crime has been commited,they are generally indifferent to chasing things up.I made them aware 6 weeks ago that cctv was present nearby.....Have I heard anything?Do they contact me?Have they watched the cctv?........
Rant over !!
Old 04-Nov-2005, 02:06

Mood: Thinking
has anybody driven a car with a bird seating in the passenger seat with an extra short mini on?
maybe the police ought to ban that too
how far is this going to go
single seat cars
just to make up for shite drivers

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit