Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 29-Nov-2005, 23:46
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
At what point after you stop coming here do you stop being a regular?
Old 30-Nov-2005, 08:13
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
George Best was a very good footballer, possibly the most gifted to date, however he was no hero.

It is not heroic to gamble most of your income away, or to have multiple concurrent sexual partners, or to spend a great deal of your time in an alcoholic stupor - they may be classified as "fun" in certain circles but not heroic achievements. Neither is wasting the gift of a donor organ.

His off-pitch activities are not the heroic deeds that society desires youngsters to emulate.

Let his on-pitch majestic wizardry be his epitaph - everything else is supercilious un-heroic nonsense.

[Edited on 30-11-2005 by Athelstan]
Old 30-Nov-2005, 09:28
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

we idolize some to these stars way too much and it goes to their head. Gary Glitter (?) is having a real bout with that in Viet Nam these days.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 09:56
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by 888heaven
Quote:
oh look, another "lets kick George Best now that he is dead" post.
This is a small peice from todays Mail by Stephen Glover and his title for his article [If GB is our hero,god help us]

ian

That piece was actually in Sundays Mail on Sunday and to be honest i think Marting Glover is an egotistical ****er, you read that article and count how many times he states that "writers" are "heros" ???? Oh look, might that be becasue he is one ..... Writers are no different to footballers, the majority of them are mediocre at best, produce dross to fill newspapers and mags and like footballers dwell on their "minor celebrity" ... But there are a handful of writers that genuinely touch peoples lives, prooduce works of literary genius and communicate with their readers at a level that others can only dream of, these people inspire, encourage and support, they show the way, they represent something ....

Thats what George Best did as a footballer ....

If Martin Glover were a footballer he'd be a an average journeyman that maybe made the headlines once in a blue moon .....

And as for being a sheep ... please, learn some manners.

There are plenty of people out there intelligent enough to know whether they can formulate their own opinions without media intrusion or influence, so don't tarnish everyone.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 14:03
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I was just thinking the same thing myself Dibble - what makes a writer a Hero? No matter how well you write, it's hardley an heroic deed.

Going into a burning building, bringing someone out and saving their life at the risk of your own is heroic.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 14:26
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.

Dont tend to read the papers as they are all crap. The news on telly is just the same, all one sided and portraying a view that they want you to see. Not the whole picture.

Still, I get to see the real side of life in my line of work.

I have never really been a footie fan and didnt really give a toss for Mr Best. But it is sad that he is gone because as it is when any person dies.
I bet he has done things in his life that the members of the press could only dream about! Good on him I say.

RIP.
DC.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 14:30
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Everyone has their own interpretations of heroic.

One of our rugby club lads was fined a "Yard of Justice" for dropping the ball too much across a couple of games, a couple threw away try's!

Now the "Yard of Justice" is basically a yard glass, he had to do the yard glass in the clubhouse, in front of the club after the game.

He made it!

Now THAT is heroic!

Football is for chicks ...
Old 30-Nov-2005, 14:31
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by 888heaven...Did the world stop when DB left MUTD did the stock market collapse did the primeminister resign...

Who's DB and where's MUTD?

Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
So the premiership players earn stupidly high wages, but they pay tax on their wages like the rest of us. That amount of tax (more in a week what you or I would pay in a year...) goes into the pot that pays that surgeon's wages and keeps the hospital open in the first place.

errr, no.
They may earn high wages but I believe they use the IR system much like many other high earners do..

Hero's? are what you believe in.
My Dad was a hero to me.
My Uncle was a hero to me.
Old 30-Nov-2005, 14:35
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
Originally posted by philthy
Antonye ..you're right this is a bit heavy for monday morning !

I think the real issue is that the word hero has been hijacked and no longer applies as it should :-

Hero.......man admired for his brave deeds.

Is it brave to play football or be a celebrity or pop idol? I think not.

Is it brave to fight in Iraq, face up to a man with a knife or gun in the street, enter a burning building to save life, or go out in a small boat in a force 9 gale to save a life which has no connection with you whatsoever? Of course it is.
( My apologies if I've left anyone out ) These people are true heroes.

Many of the people commonly called heroes are in fact idols. There is a huge difference. There are idols and fallen idols. Both can act as role models and warnings to us all.

Phil

I don't know if it's the done thing to quote your own post here or not so I'll apologise in advance.

The people on the following site ARE hero's, and should be treated as such unlike George Best, Martin Glover etc who in my view ( But not neccesarily anyone elses ) are people who entertain others very well and should be admired and possibly worshiped by some for that skill, if they are at the pinnacle of their profession.

Can't do links but type in a search

MY HERO ELIZABETH GLASER

Humbling to read........................
Old 30-Nov-2005, 14:35
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Here's my guess Alan:

DB = David Beckham
MUTD = Northern Monkey's who wear red.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit