Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Mar-2004, 19:34
Montjuic

New to the site, quick question about 996 S

Hiya guys, just became a member today and am buying my first Ducati later this next week. I live in the US and getting a 2000 996 S and had a few questions about differences between the 996 and 996s in the same year (2000).
1. Is there a hp difference between the s and regular model?
2. Is there a weight difference?
3. Any differences i missed besides a different rear shock on the S?

Thanks in advance guys, and am glad to finally be on board.
Old 21-Mar-2004, 20:13
888 at Last !!!

First of all welcome.

The 996S in US and Europe are different. Firstly the differences between the Euro S and US S are the HP. I'm affraid that the US S has same BHP as Bip (~116) and the Euro model is similar to SPS (124BhP)

But saying that the US S got Ohlins front (Euro got Showa) and I think some extra carbon like a front mud-guard and may be other parts.

The Euro S has 50mm exhaust as std - not sure what the US S has, probably 50mm so long as it met the strict US emissions laws.

The Euro S came with both mono and biposto versions - poss US S only mono? But if mono probably has aluminum rear subframe (less weight)

Euro S has SPS engine (less Ti Con rods 124Bhp), Ti Nitride Showa forks and maybe slightly uprated brakes (steel brake lines), Ohlins rear shock. No weight difference.

Good choice either way

[Edited on 21-3-2004 by ziggi]
Old 21-Mar-2004, 20:19
888 at Last !!!

And another thing - I'm sure that the Euro S model was only produced in 2001. Not sure about the US model.
Old 21-Mar-2004, 20:19
Montjuic

Cool thanks a lot for the info. Wasnt sure if it was worth paying an extra 2k for one. Only wish it had more hp than a regular 996 though, in the US.
Old 21-Mar-2004, 20:22
Montjuic

And another quick thing, you say the US model got Ohlin front suspension, little weird that the one i looked at had Showa. Am thinking this one might have been in an accident then and had Showa ones put on instead then.
Old 21-Mar-2004, 20:34
Montjuic

Just another quick question. I'm going from a beefed 99 GSXR 750 and havent really ever ridden with a Ducati. What kind of performance difference is there between them?
Old 21-Mar-2004, 21:10
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
The 996S came with Showa front forks and Ohlins rear shock.The steering damper was also Ohlins.
As ziggi said,the US versions were the same power as a standard bip.
Old 21-Mar-2004, 21:15
Montjuic

Cool, thanks guys, regardless of anything i'm definately going Ducati. Been riding Suzuki's for about 14 years now, and am definately in need of something new. Only thing that still has me trying to figure out is go with the 2000 996 S for 12k, or just go about 3k more for a new 999. I've just always thought of Duc's as having single sided swingarms, and i just am not use to the new "shape" of the 99's yet. Gotta love decisions Since the only thing i can see as being different is the suspension in the US, being also that i am not a racer too btw, is it smarter to just pay 2K less and go with a 2001 996?

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Vlud]

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Vlud]
Old 21-Mar-2004, 21:37
Ducati Corse

Don\'t get me started ..

.. well known for my love of 9** over 999s Moving from a GSXR to a 996 is going to be tough - it's so different you won't believe, expect to be hitting the rev limiter a lot in the first week, then, you'll gradually learn to ride the torque rather than looking for that post 9000rpm hit from the Su*uki. It'll feel really slow at first until you realise that you're going very fast indeed. Think back to when Colin Edwards first rode the SP1 - he thought it was too slow until he saw the lap times ... then went on to win 2 WSB titles on a V twin
Old 22-Mar-2004, 10:08
888 at Last !!!

My 2000 model GSXR750Y was quicker than my 124Bhp 996S. But I changed it for the 996 after mine went in for a service and I took a 996 demonstrator out.

I never looked back since and thats saying something as the GSXR was excellent. I can't quite explain what it was that made me change my mind. The vtwin engine is very different and the duke is much smaller than the GSXR. 996 just felt right from the off, from the minute you sit on it you'll either like it or not.