Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Feb-2006, 02:28

Help with Cycle Cat Bar Riser DBR21 install

For those whom have installed cycle cat bar riser on their 749/999, how do you determine which fork clamp is the left and which is the right? The bar itself is okay because the right side has two holes where as the clutch side only has one. I'm not sure how to orient the clamps.

Thanks for any help.
Old 28-Feb-2006, 20:37
Big Twin

Send iang a u2u, he's done it on his 749R, I still have mine sitting in the box, won't fit them for a few weeks yet!
Old 28-Feb-2006, 22:05
Mille

on one side of the clamps there are lines engraved in, they go on the inside.
Old 01-Mar-2006, 12:08
Big Twin

You will find that they only look 'right' one way and that they cannot really be swapped over, the bolts that clamp the bar in go to the top.
Most people who have fitted this kit found that the bars were way too long as they came, especially so with the 2" long bar ends.
I found that the bike did not feel right so I cut 1" from the ends and drilled the locating holes 1" further in to match.
I 'adapted' the bar ends to fit but should really have had the bars milled inside to accomodate the bar ends.
I also found that with the bars at the supplied length that the cables were way too tight and this caused the bike to rev itself on right lock.
Since I cut the bars everything is fine and it is definately easier on the wrists but I must admit the install was much more complex than I had anticipated.

Have a look at the pictures,

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...5516#pid259618

[Edited on 1-3-2006 by iang]
Old 05-Mar-2006, 07:00

Thanks for the info guys.

I also sent Cycle Cat a message and got the following reply:
"Alex,
You are correct that the right bar will have 2 holes and the left 1 hole. There should be numbers on the neck of the handle bars. Right should have 058 and left 057. The clip-ons themselves should have a number engraved on the bottom flat the right 036 and left 035. These numbers correlate to the packing list included in your box. Another way to know is that the head of the clip-on which holds the bar will be facing away from the rider...."

Hope this will help anyone else doing this install in the future.

Now I'm having problem adjusting the bar because I'm having clearance problem with my glove on. At the highest setting of the rotational thingy and with 15mm from bottum of triple to top of CycleCat clip on, the knuckles protector on my gloves are hitting the bottum of the rear view mirrors when doing a lock to lock. I don't have equipment to do the milling and cutting that Iang did, but I can see how the bar are long.

Wish there was something in the market that would let me change the mirror/turn signal into just flush mounted turn signal and using CRG mirror instead. Is There? This would solve my clearance issue at highest setting.

What kind of setting are you guys using to avoid the clearing issue? Or is it just me!
Old 05-Mar-2006, 12:24
Big Twin

Are you having the same problems with the cables being tight, and the throttle pulling when on full lock?

Post up some pics if you can...
Old 06-Mar-2006, 10:25
Big Twin

I had the same problem and have adjusted them now so that I can get my hand under the mirror but it does still catch a little when on full lock but this is only when moving the bike about, when riding it is fine as obviously only slight movement is needed.

The quality is really good and they do work, but in my opinion I think that Cycle Cat needed more customer feedback on the bars before producing them as everyone that I have heard of that has this kit all complain that the bars are too long and I found when I tried the bike with the bars full length that the bike felt unstable and I did not like it at all, but now with the bars shortened It is much better although to be honest I do not know if they were worth the cost considering the hassle it was to fit them and the alterations needed to make them acceptable.

I was going to buy the cycle cat rearsets but considering the hassle that I have had with these I am wary of what they will be like so have anodised my originals black instead which only cost about £20
Old 10-Mar-2006, 04:30

I don't have problem with throttle pulling on full lock. I did reroute the break line to run around the front of the fork instead behind the fork as the instruction stated. If throttle is pulling then you need to trace the throttle cable to see what is causing it.

My major problem is still trying to set it so that my glove clear the mirror but is not so low that I am back to where I started before installing this system.

I will try to post picture when I can.

I will try canyon riding this weekend and let you know if I experience the same unstableness due to longer handle bar.