Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Aug-2004, 20:11
500SD

Mood: Relaxed - don't worry about things you can't change
Check your wiring !

On checking the battery on my 999r today prior to its removal and replacement under warranty I discovered that the wiring for the left fan had been dragged into the fan. The bades of the fan are damaged and the wiring was almost severed .......bare wires visible ....some threads cut, others intact !

Clearly this would not be the best thing to happen to anyone whilst out on a long run on a very hot day !!!

Please check yours.
Old 15-Aug-2004, 20:53
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
That happened on my 998s!
Old 15-Aug-2004, 22:20
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by logyk
On checking the battery on my 999r today prior to its removal and replacement under warranty I discovered that the wiring for the left fan had been dragged into the fan. The bades of the fan are damaged and the wiring was almost severed .......bare wires visible ....some threads cut, others intact !

Clearly this would not be the best thing to happen to anyone whilst out on a long run on a very hot day !!!

Please check yours.

Thanks for the info mate.I'll check mine in the morning.
On the subject of wiring,the bullet connectors for the brake/clutch lever switch wiring are fixed to the frame where they get all the wet and road muck.The connectors corrode and your brake light stops working.My clutch lever switch connectors corroded witch meant I cant start the engine in gear,even with the clutch in.A pain when the engine cuts out in traffic.
Old 15-Aug-2004, 23:54
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
wont they stand on that under warranty? keefy
Old 21-Aug-2004, 12:34
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Useful info. Well as an aside I have removed the connectors (those that are fixed to the frame close to the steering head and which run from the handlebar switchgears) and in line with the alarm manufacturers, pumped silicon sealant into the exposed holes on the back of each one, thereby sealing the wires without affecting the contacting surfaces/pin connectors internally. It remains a flexible, waterproof solution and given the exposed nature/location of this part of the wiring loom is IMHO your best line of defence. The same is also true of the wiring within the headlight casting assembly, which is subject to a lot of water ingression from the front wheel during heavy rain. I have treated almost all the connections in much the same way and sprayed WD40 on those parts that I could not use sealant on. So far I am winnning the battle against corrosion. Once I fit the febur nose cone I hope to eliminate another source of water ingress, the headlights themselves, as the new panel has a sealed plexiglass cover the goes over both lights themselves, all that remains is for me to fashion a cover for the underside of the headlight assembly and that should be that. I hope !!!
Old 21-Aug-2004, 20:13
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by marksduc748
wont they stand on that under warranty? keefy

Yeah,but not worth the hassle mate.Cant be arsed to book the bike in,etc,so fixed it myself.