Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Apr-2005, 21:27

My new 748 - questions :-)

Hiya all,

I've just bought a 1998 infostrada rep 748 from Ducati Wolverhampton, its taken me 3 years and 3 bikes, but I now have my Duke, and I love it!!

Anyway. My bike has Carbon Micron end cans which sound wicked and look really nice, but I'm thinking of putting termi's on it. Id like to ask you good people if you thinks its worth changing the Microns to 50mm termis or leaving the bike as it is?

Also, Im looking to slowly improve the bike bit by bit, I need to ring the garage again and find out exactly what its had done (my brain forgets everything), but could any of you advice good mods to invest in.

Many thanks for any help!
Regards
-Ray.

P.S will post pics soon
Old 01-Apr-2005, 21:39
Mille

Mood: Erratic
You could take the Micron stickers off and put Termi stickers on and no one would probably know, plus save at least £500 in the long run.

Good mods, bling, bling, bling, take your pick
Old 01-Apr-2005, 22:10
Big Twin

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Ducati Ownership (tm)

Personally, I'd leave the cans as they are if you really want the termi look, for stickers try ebay. You're unlikely to gain any improvement in performance or sound that's worth the added expense of switching from Micron to Termi.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

As for mods, take a look through this thread, see what you think...

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=17890

I've a '97 748, and listed a few things in the thread, but it depends what you want, show or go???

Good choice in bike btw.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 23:59
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Yep - its a tough one, in actual fact the Termis are not the best made cans, but they are the "right" cans for a Duacti. I'm not sure of the build quality of the Microns, but many of the Termis do fall short of the production qualities of other exhaust manufacturers.

If its the right name you're after, go for Termis (or termi stickers,.

But sticking with Microns will offer no power advantage or disadvantage (unless you go for a larger system) over the Termis.

I assume your pipes would be a 45mm end can system, a swap to 50mm end cans is an option, some power could be gained, but it would probably be minimal unless it was in conjunction with other mods. You could go for a full 50mm system, but again minimal gains - it would sound great though.#

One more thing - do you know if she has had the chip swapped to support the Microns? Might be worth checking to ensure that the fueling hasd been modded to suit the open cans.

Tim
Old 02-Apr-2005, 00:00
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Hi Ray

Termis always look so right on dukes. My mates 9** microns never looked quite right IMO as they had a very glossy finish to the carbon..but not sure what yours are like ?

Just sent you a U2U anyway..

Cheers
Nat
Old 02-Apr-2005, 00:03
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Bang a slipper in and finish it of with a nice clutch plate and vented cover from corner speed
Old 02-Apr-2005, 00:31
Big Twin

Someone whose opinion I rate says, when people ask him if they should fit a slipper, he asks "Do you find the rear end "chatters" when you're braking into a corner (on road or track)".

If the answer is no, or "I don't know what you mean", then, they don't need a slipper clutch.

Sounds like good sense to me.

I'd have thought, for the vast majority of people, a converntional clutch is best for road use.
If it's just a track-day tool, then that could be different.
Old 02-Apr-2005, 00:37
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by moto748
Someone whose opinion I rate says, when people ask him if they should fit a slipper, he asks "Do you find the rear end "chatters" when you're braking into a corner (on road or track)".

That's exactly the reason I fitted one, locking the rear up all the time on the road and couldn't blip the throttle enough for it to compensate.

Locked the rear several times during TA3 at Rockingham, entering the hairpin, and the uphill right hander...backed right off after that.

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by Mr_S]
Old 02-Apr-2005, 21:40
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
you want a set of 50mm Blue Flames shiny stainless steel pipes look so much better than carbon :P

Slipper clutches well if you going to race or do trackdays all year yes ok but for normal road use it's just another piece of bling to bolt on your bike :P

and they wear quicker than normal clutches as well
Old 02-Apr-2005, 23:05
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
dont buy blue flames, ive had two pipes off them for non ducati bikes and terrible quality, on my r6 the bracket fell off rubbing on the rear tyre leaving me a 30mile ride home with it held on by gaffer tape

how much rear brake do yuo guys use on the road, ive got size 11 feet and find it difficult to locate the rear brake sometimes ??? plus when i do use it it feels crap anyway