Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 11-Jul-2004, 22:30
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Advice pls: Fitting an alarm

Evenin' all.

Had a bit of 'mare today on the BHC rideout with my Datatool alarm. Unfortunately I still need an alarm because the vast majority of my neighbours are professional bike theives with connections in the baltic states....

I'm also skint, so it's on the cheap or nothing at all.

So a quick browse through ebay bought up this geezer:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...9068 864&rd=1

All looks ledgit, but anyone have any idea as to how difficult this really is?? I'm not shy about getting stuck in, but electrics can be an utter pain in the arse sometimes.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 11-Jul-2004, 22:37
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
You need to get an installation certificate if you want it to count towards your insurance discount: no certificate = no discount

Any decent motorcycle dealer will have knowledge of a certified fitter - most places won't do it themselves but contract out the work.

For the extra 100 quid it may cost to fit it, it's worth that certificate as discount on your insurance.

I've heard nothing but bad reports about Datatool alarms too - I've got a Meta on mine and it's never been any trouble.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 10:15
Ducati Meccanica

Hi Antony,

Unfortunately Carole Nash only offered me £14 off my policy for having an alarm fitted so it's probably worth my while having a go at it.

I had a search on the board and the datatool vs meta debate comes up about 50/50, I just thought it might be easier to swap my dead datatool with a new one in case they used the same points on the loom.

If I could find someone that'd do any decent alarm, fitted, for under £200 then I'd go for that, but I'm dying to go on a track day and paying £350 would kill that stone dead

Cheers,

Ali
Old 12-Jul-2004, 10:29
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Good point about swapping out the Datatool, although I know that most alarms come with all black wires with sticky labels on - the point being that you don't know which wire is which if you're trying to hotwire it. It might make swapping one out a complete nightmare!

Have a shop around - the Meta has been out for a while now (at least 4 years) and you should be able to pick a kit up fairly cheap. Getting it fitted shouldn't cost you too much. I know that TecMoto do an alarm fitting service - it might be worth just giving them a call? http://www.tecmoto.co.uk/
Old 12-Jul-2004, 10:30
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Oh, forgot to mention that I think Nattyboy had some Ducati alarms he was selling off cheap from his dungeon too. Might be worth dropping him a U2U as well...
Old 15-Jul-2004, 12:53
Ducati Meccanica

Ended up buying off the ebay guy (£155) who really couldn't have been more helpful. Fitted it last night with no problems, all I needed was a soldering iron and some shrinkwrap. Scary as hell to start with but actually a doddle once you start connecting the wires up.

Can't recommend the guy enough, he knew all the best places to cut into the loom on an SL, took my panic calls at 9.30pm, and told me to keep his number in case anything goes pear-shaped later.

He has about 15 System 3s left in stock:

Mike Burnside
07973 335525 or
01256 703593

Cheers,

Ali

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit