Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:21
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Vehicle Defect Rectification Notices...

Just had an email in from a DSC Essex member who shall remain nameless. He's the second person who has had a VDRN over the weekend, so the Essex police are obviously targetting bikers again.

"I was given a vehicle defect form yesterday because of my Termignonis.
Police say they are going to send a letter to my insurance company about the
fact that the bike had illegal pipes fitted. Do you know what other riders
are doing in this situation ie. are they refitting Termis and taking a risk
that the insurance company will pay out in the event of an accident?"

Sounds pretty harsh if you ask me. I thought the whole point of VDRN was to give the owner a "grace" period in which to rectify any problems. With the VDRN you have to get it fixed (ie, stamped via a local MOT station) so there's no question the problem gets sorted, but why be so extreme on a first offence? Do loud pipes really make you unsafe?

Thoughts?
Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

I'm sure they're pretty similar to my own in that, certainly in the area where I live, there are other priorities that the police should concentrating on such as burglary, car crime, vandalism and drug use to name a few.

In all fairness they're never going to catch all the hardened criminals who have a slightly loud exhaust but writing off to the insurance simply sounds like a threat than something they really will do. I just can't believe they would spend more hours writing up insurance letters where there's no cash in it for them, unlike speeding fines.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:37
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Vman, we can easily guess your thoughts on this 1 mate.... and I probably wouldn't dissagree with most of them!!

It'd be a larf if the coppers wrote to my insurance co. about me shiney bits - I'd get my insurer to wrote back and say "We already know - stop wasting our time!"
Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:38
Big Twin

I too have a friend.
On his Elise he has had the exhaust swapped from "normal one with Cat" to "noisy one without Cat".
He assures me that this conversion is totally pukka and is carried out by the supplier of the exhaust system, who also gives him the original for when the MOT is needed.
Shurely this is more worthy of PC Plods attention if not for the noise then certainly for the fact that his emissions will no doubt be over the intended limit.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
I have heard that the PD are up to the same sort of thing up here in the North.

The PD's idea on this one is to ratchet the pressure up. Rding with illegal zorsts in no big deal crime wise but riding without insurance is far more serious and likely to cause you longer term grief.

They know very well that if you get a rectification notice, you get it sorted then put the loud cans straight back on, bit of hassle but thats all.

If you can be done for no insurance then its more serious and insurance companies take a very dim view as well. Far more hassle and insurance problems.

I would be very interested to know what happens if you have told your ins company about non legal pipes and PD try to stir it up.

Hence the can companies doing lots of Road legal cans with removable baffles.

Ray
Old 12-Jul-2004, 15:53
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Ray, this is what I thought about the situation too.

However, as Nick says - what if your company is already aware of these modifications and has agreed to insure you? Surely there is no point in the police sending out such letters, especially in the case where carbon cans come as standard?

Just thinking out loud really...
Old 12-Jul-2004, 16:03
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Ray - there was a thread about the no insurance side of this a bit ago.
In a nutshell, they can contact your ins co who may write to you threatening to void your cover if you have not informed them they're on the bike, but can't do you for no insurance if the insurance co have not been in touchwith you as above.
Personally, as long as you are insured, I'm happy.
If not...........
Old 12-Jul-2004, 16:14
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Antonye,

I would say if the insurance company knows it's going to lead into a grey area where only the lawyers win!

It might cause problems for them in that they have insured a vehicle for road use that is illegal.

They might try and wriggle out of covering you.

Where does this go?

Light out = not covered.

You can hardly go anywhere without seeing a vehicle that is illegal in some way or another every 2 minutes.

The poor old PD wonder why they are loosing support amongst various groups. I suppose they just get put under the cosh if you will pardon the expression to do something about whichever local pressure group have in their sights this week.

What do you do if you are in their position? Nick bikers, Nova drivers, kit kat eaters this week says the Chief constable, to end the loud can, fog light, dangerous driving menace.

Ray.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 16:23
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

I agree completely Ray, and have sympathy for the man on the beat as I've been in similar situations myself.

There's just various levels to which you can take a "crackdown" on bikers and it seems that some police forces grasp the wrong end of the stick firmly with both hands, which does nothing for their public relations.
Old 13-Jul-2004, 09:43
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
The PD only do it because it's "easy"!! For my job i use a section of the A34 for road testing vehicles,i've lost count of some of the major misterminers i've seen committed by drivers but they get away with it because of the lack of traffic officers!! But for some reason they can set up a "spot check" on the way to a known biker meet with the sole intention of catching us "real" criminals with Termis,slightly undersized plates & dark visors!! It makes my blood boil!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit