Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 24-Mar-2005, 20:38
Montjuic

Mood: SP4 is back
new licence rules

Hi all , just need some advice

I was just wondering if anyone knows the rules for newly qualified bike riders,

A mate of mine is coming up to stay over the weekend. He does not own a bike but I have a CBR600 that he can ride.

He passed his test last year and has been driving cars (Badly) for 15 years.

CAN HE RIDE THE BIKE LEGALLY?

TA

Simon
Old 24-Mar-2005, 21:04
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Bike licences.......

At age 17 or over, you will have two types of full motorcycle licence to aim for - the A1 light motorcycle licence or the standard category A motorcycle licence.

To gain a full A1 light motorcycle licence you must successfully complete CBT and pass a theory test followed by a practical test on a vehicle between 75cc and 125cc. A full A1 licence permits you to ride any motorcycle up to 125cc and a power output of up to 11kW (14.6 bhp) without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways.

To gain a full standard category A licence you must successfully complete CBT and pass a theory test followed by a practical test on a motorcycle of over 120cc but not larger than 125cc and capable of at least 100kph. In practice the normal test vehicle will be a 125cc machine. A full standard category A licence permits you ride any motorcycle with a power output of up to 25kW (33bhp) and a power-to-weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg without `L' plates, carry pillion passengers and use motorways. You are restricted to a motorcycle up to 25kW for two years (not counting any periods of disqualification). After two years you may ride any size motorcycle.

Riders aged 21 or over may opt to take a test on a large motorcycle. On passing the test they are immediately qualified to ride any motorcycle without restrictions. This option is called Direct Access. You must complete CBT, and if necessary, a motorcycle theory test and a practical test on a motorcycle of at least 35kW (46.6bhp).

Short answer wait 2 years from passing test unless he has a Direct Access pass.

Cheers

Andy

[Edited on 24-3-2005 by Rushjob]
Old 03-Apr-2005, 01:00
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
after 1 of my mates binned his amtes k4 gsxr 1000 last weekend i would say no

steve binned it,had no insurance as he doesnt ride a bike at the moment so he now has to find £8k so my mate can have a new bike again

legally he can if he's passed his test and the bikes legal but its upto you if you want to take the risk