Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 22-May-2013, 09:21
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Could be the same problem that Banger San (Andy) maybe suffering, we were discussing it at the bike night on Monday. He suffered clutch slip at Oulton and one of his winter upgrades was to fit a later master cylinder.
These are often smaller than the original dropping the piston diameter from the original 13mm down to 12mm. Andy was saying he was getting more clutch drag when the bike was in gear with the clutch disengaged. This may well cause more heat to get into the clutch and could effect the steel drive plates, check to see if they signs of hot spots (brown patches)

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 22-May-2013, 12:01
Mille
Bikes: Class B 600ss #99

I think my clutch problem my be just the free play in the lever issue as there is no play whatsoever. Anyone know how to adjust the free play on the brembo 996 type levers? I've tried ajusting the round dial on top of the lever through numbers 1-4 but not sure if this just alters the distance between the lever and the bars or if it is to adjust free play. Is there somewhere else to adjust free play? Thanks in advance
Old 22-May-2013, 15:15
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
As you have found the Dial is just a span adjuster
The 996 Clutch master uses a bush that screws on to the push rod and has a small hex socket grub screw holding it in position.
Need to loosen the grub screw and screw the bush further on to the push rod

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 04-Jun-2013, 19:32
Mille

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this slipping clutch problem. So I bought a used clutch of evilbay which arrived today so I thought I'd try changing the clutch plates over. The clutch came off a 94 ss same model and year as mine but the clutches are different and have a different number of clutch plates in them. So that idea is out the window. I'm not sure if I can swap the whole clutch over. Anyway when looking at my steel plates and friction plates they look in better condition than this replacement one I bought so does anyone have any tips on checking if the clutch plates/friction plates are knackerd. The steel plates are all one colour no dark spots or bluing. The friction plates are black but so are the replacement ones. Im no expert but if i was to have a guess i eould say the clutch looks ok.Is it a case of measuring thickness etc. any suggestions would be greatfuly received.
Shane
Old 04-Jun-2013, 22:13

There should be a minimum thickness of friction plate and steel plate, in the manual somewhere, just check 'em with a vernier.

Also make sure you have the correct quantity of each plate.

Other things to check would be that the steel plates aren't warped, check them on a sheet of glass.

The other factor would be the springs, check for minimum length etc. I don't know if you can do it with Ducati's but is it possible to fit a washer under each spring to increase tension, it worked on my TLS
Old 04-Jun-2013, 22:21
Mille

Thanks yogi