Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Oct-2003, 22:31

what Crash bungs fit 748s (02 model)

I just looked at the R&G website but they only fit 98-01 models

Does anyone have any ideas on what will fit?
Old 22-Oct-2003, 09:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Have a Look here:
Crash bungs by CycleCat
Old 22-Oct-2003, 10:02

Thanks, thats the first place I've seen any for my bike
They look very comprehensive, I'll get in touch with them, I didn't think I'd have to change the battery but if thats the strongest point, thats where they fit!

Bill
Old 22-Oct-2003, 10:21
Mille

Mood: Pensive
I've always been suspicious of crash bungs, having seen the damage they can do to engine mountings, etc. on race bikes.

I'm especially suspicious of use of them on a bike like a Ducati with a triangulated trellis steel frame. These frames are designed to be extremely strong longitudinally, but laterally, they are not strong at all, and I for one would never fit something that would concentrate any lateral force on one point.

From my experience of lowsides (the thing you're really trying to guard against with crash bungs), the 748/916/996/998 crashes very well, given its narrow profile. Personally, I think it's worthwhile spending money on:

1. Good, thick, self-coloured fibreglass bodywork, from vendors like ARD Racing in Newcastle
2. Strong clutch cover, like the type sold by Casoli Moto
3. Spare Water Pump Housings

All of these things will cost a whole lot less than a bent frame if your crash bung catches a kerb.
Old 22-Oct-2003, 10:41

Truth is.......I never thought of it like that!
My need to get crash protectors was based on last years European trip where it seemed bikes were crashing, all the time. Those with protectors did not seem to have too much damage. But none were Ducatis
Thanks for the info

Bill
Old 22-Oct-2003, 12:14
Ducati Meccanica

After having just had a lowside at Oulton Park, I now tend to agree with 998Addict. Ducati's do crash pretty well without bungs. In my experience, the things most at risk are pegs, levers, the clutch, and the waterpump. The factory race bikes have folding levers and pegs, which cost the earth. Clutch and water pump are best protected by reinforcing the fairing at those points with kevlar and epoxy resin. This stuff survives the abrasion pretty well. Most fibre glass panels disintegrate on abrasion. I can speak from experience here as my side panels survived pretty well. They were already kevlar reinforced. The seat unit fared much worse. It was a Vimori fibre glass piece, that I hadn't reinforced yet. I will do now before getting it repainted. It pretty easy to do. I bought the supplies here:
CFS fibre glass supplies

Well worth it my opinion as it significantly enhances the crash worthyness of plain fibre glass panels.
Old 22-Oct-2003, 12:50
Big Twin

Ask Guido on this forum.

He had some special bungi made that mount on the engine mounting point (you need to change the battery for the small model - actually you probably have that one already on your bike). This is just about as tough as you can get with no risk to the frame since the engine acts as a stressed member.

R&G and other Moko crash mushrooms mount on the frame which would indeed potentially bend it as a result of an off.

Also Guido's solution is mounting slightly lower than RG & Moko so I would assume that the bike balances better and this will give better protection to water pump and clutch.

I will put my order in soon Guido, just need to sort out of few things at the moment...
Old 22-Oct-2003, 13:53
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
Clutch and water pump are best protected by reinforcing the fairing at those points with kevlar and epoxy resin. ...
I bought the supplies here:
CFS fibre glass supplies

You can buy carbon fibre from CFS (19.50 per metre square) so you could always go the "trick" route and build up some nice layers of CF instead of using fibreglass...
Old 22-Oct-2003, 14:26
Ducati Meccanica

Maybe CF fabric is the "trick" way but Kevlar is actually much better for abrasion resistance.
Old 22-Oct-2003, 14:37
Ducati Meccanica

Phillipe, I've got the same as Guido. Well, I did before the crash. Don't think I'll them back on.