Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Feb-2005, 15:04
Mille

Mood: So its raining, your problem with that is ??
Air Filters

Thinking of fitting some new air filters....I have been told that the ones that fit inside the air tubes are the ones to go for, I think Pipercross do them.
Any advice welcome..

Thanks

Geoff M
Old 26-Feb-2005, 15:52
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Go for the JHP under tank cone filters, they have a phenominal surface area yed displace very litte space...I`m assuming you have a 996R or a 998. If not the JHP air tube ones are good as well.

I would tend to avoide the stupid little pancake types that just fit over the entrance into the air box, they have very litte surface area to stop dust & dirt.

If your unsure can I suggest that you give John Hacket a ring @ JHp and talk to him about filters, he`s a most knowlegable gentleman you has done extensive testing with various filter types on Ducati`s.
Old 26-Feb-2005, 15:55
Mille

<<< Naieve mode on>>>>
Its s a 916, does that make a difference ?
<<< Naieve mode off>>>>

I have seen some that look like they almost fill the entire air tube, front to back..

Geoff M
Old 26-Feb-2005, 16:03
Big Twin

Pipercross ones only cause a 1BHP drop vs no filters (allegedly) and cost around £18.

Neil at Sigma recommends them over undertank ones which can apparently damp the air pulses

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/996biptech.html

13BHP regained by removing the big foam filter!!!

I had an undertank one, and replaced it with the pipercross ones. Noticeable difference, and a change in the intake note as well.

But then again, some prefer the undertank filters.
Old 26-Feb-2005, 16:11
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Short Answer

Filters are not performance equipment, they are protective equipment. You won’t find a filter that flows air better (and makes more power) than a clean stock filter. Unfortunately, the stock filter elements don’t seal very well to the air runner and don’t filter dirt from the air as well as aftermarket filters.

The best location for the filter is in the air runner, and best filter of this type is the Pipercross MPX038. The Pipercross filters are the same shape as the stock filters, but thicker. They even use the stock plastic frame to give rigidity. Thicker means they seal to the air runners better and hold more dirt. They also filter better since they use a coarse layer (similar to the stock unit in cell size) bonded to a smaller cell foam layer so they capture smaller dirt particles. They come supplied with filter oil. Most important, they don't mess-up your air box resonance.

Filters located in the air box take-up space which changes the resonance of the intake system at various engine speeds. Air box resonance helps to fill the cylinders with air, and it’s important to note that factory engine development work to smooth-out the power and torque curves is done using the stock filters. In particular, air box filters degrade throttle response, the ability to smoothly accept changes in throttle, by reducing the volume of “free” air located in the space between the filter element and the throttle plate. The volume of “free” air should be at least 1.5 liters for the best throttle response for liter displacement bikes.

Ask yourself, why do bikes like the 748R come with larger 14 liter air boxes instead of the stock 8 liters? This before-after dyno comparison of a 996 with a large volume EVR airbox shows why. Notice how it smooths-out the dip in mid-range torque. Air box resonance effects.

Another type of air box filter is installed over the throttle body velocity stack. Some owners choose these to protect the engine from any dirt ingestion in the event of a crash that dislodges the fuel tank, or from a poorly sealed air box.

Peak power is essentially the same for the different filter types - when clean. Dirt-holding capacity depends on a number of factors, so any filter needs to be cleaned regularly, some more often than others.

Long Answer

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi...=1701#pid12578
Old 26-Feb-2005, 16:32
Dibble

Shazaam,

Hello mate .. what would you recommend if i've fitted carbon airtubes with no runners for stock filters ????

Currently have a RamAir undertank one ...

Cheers ..
Old 26-Feb-2005, 17:00
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Felix uses the RS-style tube filter. He can give you more information on them.

Another option is the BMC Italy filter.

Old 26-Feb-2005, 18:08
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
[quote]Originally posted by Mr_S
Pipercross ones only cause a 1BHP drop vs no filters (allegedly) and cost around £18.

I had an undertank one, and replaced it with the pipercross ones. Noticeable difference, and a change in the intake note as well.

got to agree with mr s on this 1

ive just fitted the pipercross ones to my 748 and it does seem to rev freer and gives abit more intake noise, lovely !!!
Old 26-Feb-2005, 19:46
Mille

So in simple terms so I can understand.......

If I get pipercross ones and get rid of the ones in the airbox it will sound better and rev free-er ?

but I might lose one whole horse???

geoff m

dumber than dumb and dumber on LSD
Old 26-Feb-2005, 19:53
Mille

So in simple terms so I can understand.......

If I get pipercross ones and get rid of the ones in the airbox it will sound better and rev free-er ?

but I might lose one whole horse???

geoff m

dumber than dumb and dumber on LSD