Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:04

Mood: HAPPY
Test Ride

Hello all,
New to the site and would like some advice please. Test rode a 749 at Cobb and jagger, absolutely loved the bike and want to trade my ZX636 A1P in for a Ducati Dark.

Was only offered £2800 for my absolutely mint bike with Meta alarm, New Devil Trophy Can, 6000miles, pyramid hugger, plenty of rubber & double bubble....against a 2004 registered in '05' 749 dark. 400miles totally standard with pro chip. Balance of manufacturers warranty. The bike is up for £6995. Traded in by regular who had a hornet and couldnt get on with riding style so swapped for a monster.

So what do you all think of this offer. And is the asking price of 749 about right or to much..

Thanks

Paul
Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:11
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Welcome and mines a Margarita on the rocks.

On the price, it sounds like a highish price compared to what s/hand 749s are seem to be getting. But then, C&J is a dealer.

Have you looked on the MCN for sale website? You might get an idea of what private sales go for (both 749 and 636).
Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:16
Big Twin

The drinks are coming thick and fast tonight.

Welcome, mine's a bitter lemon!!

You know you're gonna be paying more at a dealers, but even then, I think this Dark is too expensive. You're probably well aware you would get a better deal by buying the 749 privately, and selling the Kwak the same way.

If you read some earlier posts, several board members have found cheaper/newer 749's.
Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:19

Yeah the 636's are up for about £3600-£3900, dependant on usual but you pick the B1H/B2 models up for £4000 so be hard to shift the A1 now and the new 636 can be bought brand spanking for under £6000. Reckon on about £3300/£3400 realistically private but its just alot of hassle.

Had a look for 749 but couldnt find anything similar to compare too.

Thanks for your help Stealth

[Edited on 8-10-2005 by GARDS636]
Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:27
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Agree that private sales are a pain. No one ever seems to want your bike and everyone seems to want the same bike you're after....... then you've got all the hassle of how to pay/be paid.

Mind you if you can be patient, it might be worth putting an ad on the MCN site and see how you fare.

Following these pages it is clear that 749s (i.e. plural not S) and the 999s are depreciating more quickly than many of us would like so maybe it really is a buyers market.

Can understand the desire not to be patient once you've had the test ride!

You based in West Yorks then? Should have gone for a pint of Timmy Taylors.
Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:33

would have spilt it going round the corners!
Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:34
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
you'll always pay more at a dealers and get a worse price for your own bike but Duc Leeds are one of the better dealers and have excellent after sales service. I've bought quite a few bikes from them and whenever i've had a problem its always been sorted for me. Im prepared to pay that premium price just for the service, it has been known for the odd Duc to have problems and the reassurance that its got dealer backing is worth it imo.

I'd haggle a bit on the price and maybe push them to do the first service due at 600 miles free, that'll save £200, maybe try and get a few extras thrown in like a hugger etc. Sell your bike private if you can.

So far this year I've bought 3 bikes off duc Leeds, they helped sort the insurance write off on my numpty in days and found me an ex demo S spec multi strada as i wanted the S to replace my written off bike but couldnt aford a new S. Bike is Duc UK sales rep's and needs picking up in Kent and guess what? they'll drive down and get it on Monday as I wanna be back on road ASAP.

[end advert]

Old 08-Oct-2005, 22:51

Thanks Gizmo, found them really friendly and not like other dealers. The first service will be done before it is sold. What sort of price should I be looking at for the 749? And will try for extra's.

Only problem with selling mine private is time. I bought it at beginning of year for £4400 with service and a few extras but carnt see it being snapped up with winter coming and the new more desirable 636 models going so cheap. Would be happy-ish with £3000 for it p/x. Would like to get a new bike whilst dealers are slow to sell so be a bit cheaper ready for next year.
Old 08-Oct-2005, 23:03
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
Well I think my 749 is still worth a bit more than I owe on it !!!!

As has been said Ducati Leeds have a pretty good reputation and have always been fantistico with me.

Good luck with the sale/purchase, I will go for a soft drink now, I had a beer with a newbie earlier, rumour has it that tomorrow is going to nice so I might venture out ont bike !

Gizmo, it was totalled then eh !

yup, 8800 was final quote!! Charlie found me an S, 1000 miles, full warranty etc and it'll cost me an extra £500 after the excess, not so bad other than the hike in premiums i'll get next year bike got written off wednesday, breaker picked it up thursday!!
Old 08-Oct-2005, 23:05

What's the 749 like for pillions? Or is that a stupid question!!!!!!!