Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 19-Aug-2006, 03:34
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Today at Donington (18th)

Great day at Donny - a day of having fun rather than practicing for race day. Took the 996 to stretch it's legs for the first time on track this year.

Weather was similar to last sunday, rain overnight and in the morning, which was the first time I've ever used a set of wets - them tyres are unbelievable! Getting used to them was a bit of a mindf***. Was very nearly using the brakes as hard as on a dry track, and they'd grip out of corners like I couldn't believe - not a single 'moment' for the two wet sessions. Although I was being eaten alive by everyone else in the fast group who already knew how to use them. Well worth splashing out on a set.

By the third session it was bone dry, so on with the Racetec's. Now for some fun! Craner Curves on the monster is scarey enough, but the 996 with stickier tyres was nothing short of death defying! And now it's dried out I was holding my own and overtaking a few people... had a good few laps against a Mille, him leaving big black lines out of every corner and I must've been doint the same cos the right side of my tyre is a little chamfered to say the least, and full throttle in 5th under Dunlop bridge saw the front wheel airbourne - how very moto gp! Only had one moment on the racetec's, going into the esses with a little too much lean/brake made the front try to tuck but was easy enough to save.

Seems like I had a great choice of tyres to use - the wets are hard to believe, try some, and the racetec's likewise. Well happy with the day but surprisingly, in the early sessions, I was doing the same times as last sunday on the monster! Didn't get any times for the aftynoon but can't've been that much quicker.

Track wasn't too busy in the fast group, and everyone was very polite in waiting for the right moment to overtake. Thanks to Hottrax for an exceedingly well run day, and the other guys on track for being so patient while I was getting used to the wets!

Well that's my day of fun for the year. Can't wait for lots more of them in '07

Last edited by NBs996 : 19-Aug-2006 at 03:37.