Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Oct-2005, 22:51
Mille

Mood: Ride with me, Ground Shaking comes as standard..
Dirty great stinking wheeelies how?

So being relatively new to the whole bikeing scene (16months) , im learning a lot as i go a long.

One thing ive been curious of is after i have read various articles about wheelies and how they are done, but most seem to be shown on in line fours. I have inadvertantly popped a couple of little ones, but was wondering what technique the seasoned ducati biker uses, with the power delivery being different to the 4's is there a slightly different method? slippy clutch or on/off/on power?

Dont get me wrong i dont want to go round popping these bad boys everywhere just being curious.

Plus does anyone have any pics of them doing one?
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:03
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
I'm no expert but i'm sure i've read somewhere that you should avoid pulling sustained wheelies because of oil starvation issues on twins(v or l)
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:04
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
If you really want learn properly then go to one of the wheelie schools. I did the one run by Andy Burnet, there's a bit of a write-up here: http://www.markhodson.com/WHEELIE/wheelies1.htm
Not my write-up, just something I found.

I find it easier to control a wheelie on the duke, I imagine because of the better torque than a 4.

First thing tho... make sure you've learned to ride the bike properly first - I say that not knowing how much riding you've done in your 16 months! IMHO you really have to be 'at one' with your bike in order to be able to relax during your mono-wheeling... if you don't relax then you'll be crap!

Lots of people will have different ideas about how to do it properly so I'll not preach my version to you, just go to one of the schools and have some fun being taught by the pro's.
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:09
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
its easy to get it up.....but keeping it up and not panicking is something I have yet to master!!

Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:13
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by bradders
its easy to get it up.....but keeping it up and not panicking is something I have yet to master!!

Which is cured by learning to relax.
Easier said than done tho!
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:15
Mille

Mood: Ride with me, Ground Shaking comes as standard..
i was considering doing one of the classes, but not sure whether to do that or an advanced riding one instead.

Im getting better (imo) and becoming "more" at one with the bike as i go along, ive only had her for about 3 1/2 months and came from a sv650 so took me a short while to become accustomed to the differing "attitude" of the 749.

Over the last month or so i have really been getting into it and really enjoying riding a lot. Shame the winter nights are drawing in rapidly and the salty roads are just around the corner. Just not as much fun is it?

Will i known as a fair weather fairy then? To be honest i rode all last winter and did 2.5k miles in france in the most appaling weather this summer so i would be offended if any one did tar me with the fair weather brush.

But back on topic ill assess the viability of an advanced riding course before wheelies me thinks.
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:17
Ducati in my Blood

I think that's a good idea Fab... demontrating your ability to pop one up wouldn't go down too well with an IAM observer!
Old 20-Oct-2005, 23:40
Mille

Mood: Sparks will fly. If it keeps on
well you could say bike control. I'm a IAM observer and i would go down the line of training first get some miles under your belt, then try the wheelie school. By the way do they run the wheelie schools over the winter could be fun.
Old 21-Oct-2005, 01:33
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
I've done a 90 degree's wheelie school this year. It's an art and not easy. Wheelies too 45 degrees phew, easy. The trick is your back brake. Keep the rev's constant but control the height with the back brake. Like in Star Wars, feel the force, be at one with the bike Luke Bikewalker
Old 21-Oct-2005, 07:54
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
With the back brake.....that's us fooked on the Duc's then!!!

But seriously, I too am interested in the art of wheelie-ing, still never got a reply from thewheelieschool mind you, and that was 6 months ago! Think I'll have to re-enquire.

Experience first, then stunts. I agree with that.

Ade.