Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 06-Jun-2006, 09:54
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORTUGA
otherwise they will be forced down another route or withdrawl from WSB. As long as the rules are changed so the playing field is level then long live the twin.

I don't think the Japanese four manufacturer's would agree at the moment.

Go BAYLISS!!!!
Old 06-Jun-2006, 09:58
Mille

Oh and the V-twin has some advantages over the fours that are often forgotten about by the "boys down the pub".

Tractive force or low rpm torque aids drive and the narrow design of the twin helps aerodynamic performance. Have a look at Performance bikes top speed data some time. A "narrow twin" usually achieves a higher top speed than a four with the same HP
Old 06-Jun-2006, 15:53
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 900SSie

I'm not sure that Ducati need a capacity increase! Look at the run-away nature of the current season. It's bloody cheeky asking for more power when the current bike is stomping on the opposition.

If the capacity increase doesn't happen and at some point they need more power then maybe the V4 can be homologated.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 23:49
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquil_rage
I'm not sure that Ducati need a capacity increase! Look at the run-away nature of the current season. It's bloody cheeky asking for more power when the current bike is stomping on the opposition.

If the capacity increase doesn't happen and at some point they need more power then maybe the V4 can be homologated.

Asking for a power increase would not have been as "cheeky" last season. Bayliss has certainly tipped the apple cart against the capacity hike this year though.

Of course its possible that the D16 could be homligated but it's unlikely Ducati will point a gun at there own heads. Read between the lines mate
Old 07-Jun-2006, 10:25
Mille

Smile

The power increase comes down to cost. No one will win anything on the 999RS as its just not got the power to win against the fours. The MOTO GP costing factory bike that is winning is piloted by Baylis in WSB and he is winning on a bike that is I believe down on BHP against the fours. Lanzi is'nt producing good results at the moment. Any private teams running 999RS bikes are not doing well and the costs to run these are much more than running fours.

In BSB 2 factory bikes(again huge costs) are winning but there is not a single private 999 to be seen as they are too expensive and just wont produce results.

So the future for Ducati is factory twins with huge costs or ask for a capacity rise with rule changes to level the field. You get sameish power but much lower costs and that has got to be good news for anyone wanting (A) to see v twins mixing it up with fours. Or (B) wanting to race v twins.
You could see Aprilia returning and KTM have expressed interest and to me that has got to be good for racing. Dont get me wrong I like to watch racing and not clear domination by one manufacturer so I want to see costs reduced and a level playing field.
Just an example of cheaper racing but when Hawk Kawasaki started racing the ZX10R they bought straight road bikes from a shop and started racing them after removing the lights, plates etc and of course changing the fairing but on their first few outings they still had their electric starters fitted. The bikes were fairly competitive from the off with minimal tunning.
Can you see the result at the next BSB meeting if you put Lavilla out on a 999R straight from the shop. I can and he wont be winning any races that weekend.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit