Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 23-Jun-2006, 17:58
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Naturally

.. I love you.
Old 23-Jun-2006, 18:06
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I have an AIM beacon and it uses 6 LEDs arranged in a 20 mm circle. It is powered by 8 AA batteries, or a 12V DC adaptor. It also has a low and high power switch.

I would imagine you'd want an LED with the smallest possible lens angle, maybe 15 deg, to get a well focused beam. It also increases the distance it can reach.
Old 23-Jun-2006, 18:13
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix
I have an AIM beacon and it uses 6 LEDs arranged in a 20 mm circle. It is powered by 8 AA batteries, or a 12V DC adaptor. It also has a low and high power switch.

I would imagine you'd want an LED with the smallest possible lens angle, maybe 15 deg, to get a well focused beam. It also increases the distance it can reach.

Nerd!
Old 23-Jun-2006, 18:18
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
Nerd!

You've been on the juice haven't you!!

Old 23-Jun-2006, 18:19
MotoGP God

Quote:
You've been on the juice haven't you!!

Yes
Old 23-Jun-2006, 21:07
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Woohoo! First time I've used my Electronics degree for something useful since I graduated 10 years ago

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 23-Jun-2006, 21:17
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
OK, so what I want to know is... what do I need to build an IR transmitter - assuming that this is what I need to set off my lap timer.

At Brands in the pit garage, we could set it off with a TV remote.

So can I go down to the local electrical shop and buy some bits to make my own beacon??

If so, what will I need??

I can buy a 'proper' one for £40, but no doubt it's made from 50p's worth of parts.

Thanks ta

Ummmmm...you don't need one. Every circuit I've raced on has had a transmitter in use on race days.
Old 23-Jun-2006, 21:20
Dibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
Ummmmm...you don't need one. Every circuit I've raced on has had a transmitter in use on race days.

exactly ....

but Domski wants this for trackdays .. personally thats a **** attitude as trackdays are for fun, not for skimming the last 10th of a second from your lap times.

you have DD Domski, keep your racing there or book some ACU days as your average trackdaypunter doesn't want you out there pushing the limit ...
Old 23-Jun-2006, 21:21
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I didn't realise it was for a trackday - anyway it's next to near impossible to post fast lap times on a trackday due to the traffic so, why bother?
Old 23-Jun-2006, 21:33
MotoGP God

Oh for god's sake ...

How many 'trackdaypunters' do you see running laptimers? Heaps! I've walked around the pits on quite a few track days last year and seen loads of people with them, trying to hide them away.

Yes it's difficult to set a hot lap without disturbing other riders on track but you do get clean laps in the fast group so you do get the opportunity to have a go without impacting others.

I've ridden with Dom on a track day and I can vouch for him being a courteous rider who doesn't go stuffing the bike under people mid-corner etc. Track days help racers learn/refresh the circuit, it doesn't necessarily mean that you push every friggen lap and carve people up. In general it's the bloody hero's who think they are superfast that carve people up, not racers. There's exceptions to every rule ... JUST MY EXPERIENCE!

Just like legends who want 46psi in the rear so they can 'rear-wheel' steer the bike around in the novice group ...

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit